OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

shooting jakes?

Started by laturkeyhunter, June 10, 2014, 11:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

I have shot a jake or three in my day.  Final hunt of a trip, tons of jakes...I took some meat home.
Not my preference these days but I won't say it will never happen again.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Bigspurs68

Have I ever?? Yep. Do I now? Nope. Do I care if someone else does? Nope.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

firstflight111

Jakes are fair game ,no law against it . Plus you have to start somewhere ,not everyone has all season to wait on that big old Tom .and Jakes eat well .I shot some back when I started over 30 years ago .

Sent from my C811 4G

CUPPED AND COMMITTED

n2deer

Havent killed one in several years, but I might again.

To each his own within the law. Just have fun and be safe and go turkey reaping.

ncturkey

I have passed on a few jakes over the past few years. It is hard to do because I love to eat turkey meat. I am trying to get a bunch of older gobblers on the farm I am hunting so I have decided not to shoot jakes myself.

Yoder409

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on June 12, 2014, 12:16:36 AM
If it's legal, and it makes you happy, go for it!!

This.

When I was cutting my turkey hunting teeth, I shot a few jakes.  The last one I shot was in a double with my Dad.  It was his first ever spring turkey and a memory I will NEVER forget.  That was 20+ years ago.  Since then I have never even considered taking a jake.  Just my personal preference.   

The ONLY way I would shoot another is if it were in a double with my 9 year old daughter or 7 year old son as their first bird. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

turkey john

I shot a few jakes back when I first started turkey hunting but haven't killed one in 40 yrs. I like hunting mature birds and jakes are your future long beards. When you see lots of jakes you know there will be plenty of gobblers the next season....