turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

shooting jakes?

Started by laturkeyhunter, June 10, 2014, 11:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

I have killed two in 20 plus years chasing these crazy birds, one on accident, thought he was a tom in the thick stuff, he hammered like a mature bird, the other one I had two tags and only a couple days to hunt so I whacked a jake with the bow when 5 came to the dekes!

I have zero issue with it, but personally they just don't do it for me, with I never shoot a jake again, maybe not, but you never know!   

Hooter

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 11, 2014, 08:06:07 AM
I don't shoot jakes anymore, either,...but if I thought it would make my pecker grow, I would have to reconsider!   :TooFunny: :toothy12: :TooFunny:

I was wondering when that was coming!!!
I haven't shot a Jake in over 25 years.  Maybe that's the problem with me!!!!   :toothy12: :help: :TooFunny:

laturkeyhunter

i aint knocking anybody for doing it its there choice. i just found it odd that they showed it on that hunting show

Gumby

Quote from: guesswho on June 11, 2014, 07:33:44 AM
Never crosses my mind to shoot one, but I don't fault anyone who does.  My peckers long enough.  I don't need to "kill" the first legal bird to prove it. ???

Now that's funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Quote from: laturkeyhunter on June 11, 2014, 10:35:12 AM
i aint knocking anybody for doing it its there choice. i just found it odd that they showed it on that hunting show
For a hunting show, it's all about killing footage.  If they are hunting a property and there down to the last day of their hunt with no kill footage and the producers are breathing down their neck for footage, you best believe a jake will go down if the opportunity presents itself.  They don't care if the shooter is a kid, first time hunter or a vet.

SCGobbler

I will let my son pull the trigger on one for his first bird.

Other than that I choose to let them walk to get bigger.

I don't have a problem with someone shooting them, but its a personal preference in my book.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

TauntoHawk

When I take kids, new hunters, vets out I tell them to shoot whatever makes them happy and gets their blood pumping. If a jake comes in strutting and gobbling the shot is theirs to take. I have had some blast em and some decide to hold off and wait for a longbeard.

My first two NY birds were jakes, and im proud of those little stubby beards because they represent the start of this passion I have for turkey hunting. I wouldn't shoot one now for the same reason I wouldn't ever shoot a yearlying buck. I know I can do way better and the hunt/season would be over far too fast.

Shooting any animal or bird should never be about "just filling a tag" if the excitement/challenge isn't there its time for a new hobby but the size of the animal doesn't determine the excitement/challenge. If you work your butt off for a jake and the kill gets you all jacked up than its a trophy kill
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Swampchickin234

Quote from: Gumby on June 11, 2014, 10:42:02 AM

Quote from: guesswho on June 11, 2014, 07:33:44 AM
Never crosses my mind to shoot one, but I don't fault anyone who does.  My peckers long enough.  I don't need to "kill" the first legal bird to prove it. ???

Now that's funny

aint it

Beard Collecter

I have shot a few in my 30+ years of turkey hunting. The first one was on purpose, the other 2 were on accident. They both had full gobbles, and showed there heads. I am more careful now. If it makes you happy, go for it. Not everyone has a lot of time off to hunt.

Marc

Quote from: West Augusta on June 11, 2014, 08:17:13 AM
I love to hear a long beard gobble.  I love the challenge of an older bird even though they often win.  Long beards and sharp spurs.

I have heard this alluded to previously...  I am hunting Rio's in California, and cannot for the life of me tell the difference between a jake and a tom gobbling.  Seems to me that a weak gobble is a nervous or hesitant bird, and that a strong gobble is a horny or confident one...

Can you guys actually tell the difference between a jake and a tom from the gobble?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Marc on June 11, 2014, 02:58:31 PM
Quote from: West Augusta on June 11, 2014, 08:17:13 AM
I love to hear a long beard gobble.  I love the challenge of an older bird even though they often win.  Long beards and sharp spurs.

I have heard this alluded to previously...  I am hunting Rio's in California, and cannot for the life of me tell the difference between a jake and a tom gobbling.  Seems to me that a weak gobble is a nervous or hesitant bird, and that a strong gobble is a horny or confident one...

Can you guys actually tell the difference between a jake and a tom from the gobble?

More often than not, yes you can tell the difference. They sound a bit forced and cut off at the end. It's not the full thunderous gobble you get from an older bird. Having said that, I've shot several Jake's over the years and kind of take a few factors into play. How much time do I have, is the area hunted hard, how many long beards have I heard there, what's the population looking like in the area, etc. If things are looking good and the hunt was fun, I'll shoot. If things are not looking so good and it happened way too fast/easy, he's got a good chance of walking away.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I highly encourage kids and newbies to shoot a jake if presented with the opportunity.

But.... Experienced hunters shooting jakes leaves a pretty foul taste in my mouth. 

I enjoy a jake encounter just like I do a hen encounter.  They're fun to observe and interact with but the thought of killing them never enters my mind. I go to the woods to shoot gobblers and that's all I walk out of the woods with.

I don't understand why guys can't be happy with the memory of the encounter with a young bird instead of feeling the need to kill it. 

Gooserbat

Back in the day I killed my share of jakes and from time to time I still do.  I don't go to the woods looking for one but over the past say 5 years I've killed 3 or 4. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Jim K

I've shot a few over the years with no regrets. They were a thrill to me. At this stage of my hunting career, I would rather not. Last year I called one in for a 14 year old. He was so excited and so was I.
  As for telling a jake gobble.... Sometimes. This spring at my shop I heard a bird gobbling and thought " man that bird has a good gobble". Yep, it was a jake.

chatterbox

My first bird I shot was a jake, and unless I get fooled, he will probably be the last. I also encourage newbies and youths to pull the trigger if one presents itself.
I now let them walk, and get a kick outta watching them strut and gobble. Good stuff!