OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone else collect turkey hunting books?

Started by Halfski, June 06, 2014, 10:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Halfski on September 12, 2014, 09:43:50 AM
Also, to my knowledge there are only two turkey books published by Premier Press.  McIlhenny's "The Wild Turkey and its Hunting," and Henry Davis' "The American Wild Turkey."  Although the books say 3,000 copies were published, the number is actually smaller than that.  Less copies were printed of the Davis book, so that one is sometimes harder to find.  The McIlhenny book is on Amazon, and the Davis book is on Abebooks.  I think a fair price for the McIlhenny is $50-$75 and the Davis is $75-$100.  (in very good + condition).

If you are okay with reproductions, Lovett Williams had high quality copies made of the Davis, McIlhenny, Turpin, and Everitt classics and they are significantly less expensive than the originals.  I've bought them and the quality is excellent. His daughter Heather manages the sales now.
http://www.lovettwilliams.com/

mgm1955

Thanks. I have the Davis and McIlhenny books by Premier. For some reason I thought there were two others. I'll contact Real Turkeys and see what they have available. Thanks to both of you for the info!!

mature8pointer

I had every book written on the Wild Turkey that I know except an original Turpin book. My collection included every print of the 10th Legion and all the hard to get one's. A couple of the harder one's to get were Spring Gobblers by John Lowther in hard cover, and the Jack Dudley book. "The greatest Moments in My Life" I think it was called. I lost every one of them in less than one hour when Katrina came through in 2005. I did not even try to collect again. That did me in. Somehow I still managed to compile about 150 different books since mostly from fellow collectors that had multiples that I helped out before the storm. I think today it would be tough to get most of them without spending a lot of money to obtain. When I started they were easy to find and very few people were trying to make money off the books.

mgm1955

What a shame, but glad to hear you're getting many of them back. Hard to beat reading a good turkey book whether it's just before the season to get you fired up or between seasons to fill the time. Good luck!

alloutdoors

Pretty good deal for someone on eBay right now, signed copies of both of Bobby Dale's books for $100 (for the two together). I'm currently reading Double Gobble myself and highly recommend it. I have Turkey Roost Tales as well but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221552175181

mgm1955

PaLmbHngr

Great to see that others are addicted like me. I am up to close to 100. I try to add as I can afford as some of the older ones are pricey.

greencop01

:thanks:Thank You Mr Halfski ! I went on Amazon and purchased "Better on a Rising Tide" for $8.95 and that is with shipping. I have found over the years that reading good turkey hunting books puts you so far ahead of the game. I've found the books that helped me the most were "Wild Turkey Management and Hunting" Lovitt Williams, "Turkey Hunting a One Man Game" Kenny Morgan, "Practical Turkey Hunting Strategies" Ray Eye, " Illumination in the Flatwoods" Joe Hutto have the most useful info for putting birds in the bag. I know I like "Old Pro Turkey Hunter" Gene Nunnery's idea of calling the bird all the way to the gun and then lettin em in close, all alert looking for you, the 'hen'. We wait all year, enjoy the show and " stare down the rattle!" Again thanks for the info. Norm Greencop  :OGturkeyhead:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

mgm1955

Just got a copy of Tall timber Gabriels yesterday. Glad to add it to my collection. Great book with an awesome cover.

Halfski

You're welcome greencop.  And contrats MGM on picking up a copy of Tall Timber Gabriels - one of the better turkey hunting books around.  When you read it, you will be amazed that it was published in 1971 - over 40 years ago. 

mgm1955

Thanks. Can't wait to read it. Those guys knew how to hunt turkeys! Great chance to learn from some old pros.

gatorman

:gobble:

If anyone is seriously interested in a mint copy of Wiley "Wingbone" Cryer's, You Never Know, I have a author signed one. Never been off the shelf, mint condition. I personally knew and hunted 3 states with Wingbone. A great man!

Serious request only.

quavers59

I have 34 turkey hunting books.I just recently bought both of GENE NUNNERY'S books---THE OLD PRO TURKEY HUNTER AND I WILL LIFT UP MINE EYES TO THE HILLS. The first one cost me 50 bucks and the second was 200 bucks. Really glad that I bought those two books!
     I myself have written 3 turkey hunting books. Only 1 printing of each and I believe I only had 242 copies printed and the first and less then 220 copies of the other 2. They are almost sold out and Jim Casada  told me that they could be worth some money way in the future because so few were printed.  I did sign and put some copies of each away in a ammo can for my family.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Quote from: quavers59 on April 21, 2017, 02:16:52 PM
I have 34 turkey hunting books.I just recently bought both of GENE NUNNERY'S books---THE OLD PRO TURKEY HUNTER AND I WILL LIFT UP MINE EYES TO THE HILLS. The first one cost me 50 bucks and the second was 200 bucks. Really glad that I bought those two books!
     I myself have written 3 turkey hunting books. Only 1 printing of each and I believe I only had 242 copies printed and the first and less then 220 copies of the other 2. They are almost sold out and Jim Casada  told me that they could be worth some money way in the future because so few were printed.  I did sign and put some copies of each away in a ammo can for my family.

I have about worn out my copy of Old Pro Turkey Hunter. Have threatened to buy I Will Lift Up Mine Eyes To The Hills but never could bring myself to spend the money for a copy. Is it a good read and worth the price?

quavers59

Yes Sir-- I WILL LIFT UP MINE EYES ONTO THE HILLS  was worth the 200 I paid for it. I got it from Jim Casada's turkey books site.