OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone else collect turkey hunting books?

Started by Halfski, June 06, 2014, 10:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paramedic_hood

If you enjoy turkey call books you may enjoy the book I authored.  It is called Today's Call Makers Keeping The Tradition Alive "Made In America".  The book is a collection of biographies about today's call makers and features close to 100 with over 300 full color pictures.  Book can be purchased through Amazon or my website which is www.lowercreekgamecalls.com

land cruiser

Halfski

A previous poster mentioned Abebooks as a good place to buy turkey hunting books.  I agree.  Another is Amazon, but the trick is to keep looking periodically to get good deals.  I have some boring info. and some cool info. 

Boring info:  Most large scale booksellers on Amazon use a computer algorithm to set prices.  The result is that book prices go up or down, depending on how other booksellers price their books.  In some cases the book prices can fluctuate dramatically.  In most cases, this results in books being priced MUCH higher than they are worth.  This is due, in part, because there are some "phony" listings.  For example, to my knowledge, the bookseller "Anybook" does not have any books.  I heard they price their books very high, and if someone is silly enough to buy a book from them, they ask a real seller to send the book, and they keep the profit.  These phony listings bring up the prices of the real books. 

Cool info: In some cases, you can get very good deals.   This happens if there are no phony listings, and if algorithms are set such that two or more bookesellers want their book to be the the cheapest listing on the site.  Right now you can get Better on a Rising Tide for only $15!  And The Boat, by Tom Kelly (which is not a turkey hunting book but is still collectible) is selling for only $5.  Now would be the time to pick up a copy. 

Gobbler2577

I'll keep an eye out for a copy of tall timber gabriels.  I have a copy but could never part with it.  Back in 2007 I was asked to make a set of twenty box calls for the annual hunt at Longleaf where Charlie Whittington hunted and wrote about in that book.  It still looks much like the pictures in the book and is a wonderful place.  I carried my copy of the book with me and the Anderson's (who own Longleaf) were blown away that someone had the book.  It's a wonderful read and as far as I'm concerned no collection is complete without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

land cruiser

alloutdoors

I've been looking for a copy of Double Gobble by Bobby Dale but the price is usually crazy. I rolled the dice recently on a copy listed by Goodwill on eBay that was described simply as "good" with no photo or anything else. It just got here and it looks to be in new/unread condition other than a very small crease on the lower dust jacket which I think is from them not packing it all that well. And the kicker, it's a signed copy.  :z-guntootsmiley:

Halfski

Just finished reading Illumination in the Flatwoods again (for the second time).  This book might be a "must read."  While it isn't about turkey hunting, it is VERY interesting.  The author lived with a flock of wild turkeys and during that time made some interesting observations.  It changed how I think about turkeys.  It's readily available and inexpensive. 

ElkTurkMan

I started collecting Older Turkey books years ago.  I reread the Old pro Turkey hunter ever winter before spring.

mgm1955

I have been collecting for several years and have accumulated a nice collection, some from halfski himself whom I can strongly recommend. Jim Casada has a hard bound bibliography he sells that is as complete a source about turkey literature as is available. Anyone interested in collecting books about turkey hunting would be well served to own one. You can get it directly from his website. He also recently released a book titled "Remembering the Greats" that has 27 chapters covering the old masters of turkey hunting which is a great read especially for those interested in the history of our sport. Many were taken from his column in T&TH.

mgm1955

By the way thanks for starting this discussion. I think it could really become a valuable resource for those of us who enjoy reading about turkeys. Sure helps to fill the gap between seasons and scratch that itch when we can't be in the field.

Halfski

Thanks MGM!  I actually just listed Jim Casada's bibliography and his "Remembering the Greats."  Perhaps someone might get a good deal on them.

It's always nice to hear from people that share my interest in turkey book collecting.  At one time I had a fairly good collection of custom turkey calls, but I ultimately came to the conclusion that I have neither the money nor the space for a "complete collection."  I sold most of my calls, and kept a few good ones from the Wisconsin call makers. 

In my opinion it is much easier to get a "complete collection," or at least a "close to complete collection" of turkey hunting books.  Unlike other hunting books (i.e., waterfowl and deer), not many turkey hunting books were written before the 1990's, so the number of turkey hunting books that were printed is relatively small.  There are a few books that are expensive (i.e., Jack Dudley, Wingbone Cryer), but many are relatively affordable.  An added bonus is that with the exception of some of the common titles, turkey hunting books tend to appreciate in value (as long as you take care of the books by storing them out of direct sunlight and by not destroying them while reading them).  I learn something from each book I read, and it is always fun to gaze at my bookshelf and find a book to read (or reread) to get me pumped up for the upcoming season.  It's also fun to search Amazon, Abebooks and eBay for "hard to find" books that are missing from my collection.  It's almost like hunting!  One thing that I have found over the years that the fall is the best time to buy turkey hunting books (as opposed to late winter/early spring, when more people are actively searching for them). 

Halfski

Was looking on Amazon and found a signed copy of Hunting the Wild Turkey in Michigan, by Denny Geurink, for only $30.  That is a very good price, and I hope someone from this forum gets it. 

mgm1955

Always enjoy seeing what you have available. Do you have or have you seen any of the four books published by Premier publishing? Looking for a couple to add to my collection.

mgm1955

Also, any good leads on old copies of Turkey Call from the 70s and 80s in great shape?

Halfski

I would be happy to ask around for old copies of Turkey Call magazine, and I will get back to you if I find some. 

Also, to my knowledge there are only two turkey books published by Premier Press.  McIlhenny's "The Wild Turkey and its Hunting," and Henry Davis' "The American Wild Turkey."  Although the books say 3,000 copies were published, the number is actually smaller than that.  Less copies were printed of the Davis book, so that one is sometimes harder to find.  The McIlhenny book is on Amazon, and the Davis book is on Abebooks.  I think a fair price for the McIlhenny is $50-$75 and the Davis is $75-$100.  (in very good + condition).