OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone else collect turkey hunting books?

Started by Halfski, June 06, 2014, 10:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

land cruiser

va wingbone

Quote from: aaron on June 06, 2014, 03:43:24 PM
Im a Tom Kelly junkie...unfortunately I read all his books first, and others pale in comparison
I like everything Tom kelly writes except his opinion on fall turkey hunting with dogs leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But yes I'm a amateur collector too

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

va wingbone

I think simon Everett's book and William frank hannenkrat' are my two favs

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

gobbler777

I started collecting 51 years ago. Had them all, mostly first editions and sold the whole collection about 7 years ago. I still have a complete set of Turkey Call magazines. Had a guy on OG say yes he wanted them then he dropped off the face of the earth with no replies to my e-mails and messages.... no integrity I guess.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Halfski

That is a good list. 

Some of my favorites:  The Old Pro Turkey Hunter, Bad Birds by Jim Spencer, The Grand Obsession by Phillips, You Never Know by Wingbone Cryer, Doc Weddle's book, Double Gobble, The Truth Series by Cuz Strickland, East of the Slash, by Wineman, Tall Timber Gabriels by Whittington.

land cruiser

Six more books are on the way for my collection, thanks guys! Keep them coming:)

BTW, if anyone has an extra copy of Tall Timber Gabriels they would part with for a reasonable price, please pm me.

DirtNap647

I collect them and enjoy reading them very much

Halfski

Land cruiser,

I see you are looking for a copy of Tall Timber Gabriels.  Just wanted to let you know that they pop up on eBay every once in awhile.  When they are sold in a true auction (i.e., as opposed to a "buy it now,"), to my knowledge they tend to sell for about $180.  The ones on Amazon are overpriced, in my opinion. 

land cruiser

Great idea, I added it to my list of searches. Thanks!

ncturkey

I have read a few of the ones that have been mentioned. But I do not own them. I checked the out at the public library. I do have a signed copy "Tom Foolery 2000" by Earl Grooves. I have rad it a few times. I am currently reading Ray Eye's Turkey Hunter's Bible.

Halfski

Grand Obsession book on eBay.  The price is $31 right now.   

land cruiser

Must have missed it, the one I see is $100±

davisd9

Quote from: HartClemson99 on June 08, 2014, 12:39:09 PM
My turkey collection is about 50 deep with a strong emphasis on Tom Kelly and Lovett Williams.  Recently picked up Doc's book and it is great. Illumination of the Flatwoods is another must have.

Agreed!  Will give you a new appreciation for the animal.

Old Pro is probably my favorite, but also like One Man Game, Tenth Legion, Fork in the Road, and a few others.  Planning on my next read to be by Lovett Williams.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Yelper

I have Turkey Tails and Tales from Across the USA by Tom "DOC" Weddle that I would sell if anyone is interested. 

Yelper

Cut N Run

I have the same affliction/addiction...if I can't hunt turkeys, I want to read about it.  This is not a list of my favorite books, but a source where you can find used books, often at great prices.   Abe books dot com has many first editions, out of print, hard to find books, and books signed by the author.  I'm not sure how many books I've bought through Abe books in the past 10-12 years, but it has been more than a few.  ABE is a network of book sellers across the globe who are looking to sell what you're looking for.  It is a great resource with several different ways to search.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.