Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone else collect turkey hunting books?

Started by Halfski, June 06, 2014, 10:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfski

To help ease my turkey hunting withdrawal symptoms, I have been reading a bunch of my turkey hunting books, only to realize that I have accumulated a very large collection of books about wild turkeys and turkey hunting. 

Are there any others in this forum that are also avid collectors of turkey hunting books?  Just curious.

aaron

Im a Tom Kelly junkie...unfortunately I read all his books first, and others pale in comparison

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Halfski on June 06, 2014, 10:53:45 AM
To help ease my turkey hunting withdrawal symptoms, I have been reading a bunch of my turkey hunting books, only to realize that I have accumulated a very large collection of books about wild turkeys and turkey hunting. 

Are there any others in this forum that are also avid collectors of turkey hunting books?  Just curious.

Yes, I've got somewhere around 25 now, mostly out of print, and got started for the same reason.  I much prefer the stories to the how-to books and believe they have done more to make me a better turkey hunter.   The Old Pro Turkey Hunter by Gene Nunnery and Ken Morgan's Turkey Hunting: A One Man Game are favorites.

1iagobblergetter

You bet, I started my collection with just trying to gain knowledge on hunting them and now I've lost count on how many I have kinda like my calls.

land cruiser

It would be great if you guys posted titles from your collections. I have a few as well, but nearly as many as I would like

owlhoot

where is some good places to get good books ? Some of the best titles ?

Skeeterbait

I have all of Tom kelly's books and a few others.

Tail Feathers

The turkey books I have helped make me the hunter I am today.

Wait...it's not fair to blame them...nevermind. :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

West Augusta

Don't overlook
Turkey Tails and Tales from Across the USA by our own Hookspur Tom "Doc" Weddle
It's a great read.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Jim K

I have quite a few. I always read " The old pro turkey hunter" before the season starts. Last night I started Tom Turpins book again. I like rereading the old ones. I just finished rereading Knight and Hales book. Another good read.

mikejd

Agree with others. Old pro turkey hunter is a great read. I am always looking for others.

nitro

Royal Slam 2008

land cruiser

The list is good, but forum recommendations are more valuable in my opinion.  Old pro turkey  hunter is an amazing read. 

HartClemson99

My turkey collection is about 50 deep with a strong emphasis on Tom Kelly and Lovett Williams.  Recently picked up Doc's book and it is great.  Illumination of the Flatwoods is another must have.
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: land cruiser on June 08, 2014, 10:18:04 AM
The list is good, but forum recommendations are more valuable in my opinion.  Old pro turkey  hunter is an amazing read.

Here is a short list that I can recommend from my own collection in addition to those mentioned above, all of which I would recommend as well.

Some good and great stories:

Dr. Bobby Dale, Double Gobble: Reflections of a Turkey Hunter
Charles Elliott, Turkey Hunting with Charlie Elliott: The Old Professor Tells About America's Big-Game Bird
Herb McClure, Native Turkeys and a Georgia Mountain Turkey Hunter
Robert Hitt Neill, The Flaming Turkey
Phil Phillips, The Grand Obsession: A Half Century of Hunting the Wild Turkey in Florida
Wade Wineman, East of the Slash

Herb McClure's book is perhaps not as well known as the others, but I enjoyed it quite a bit for its first hand account of hunting very shy native Georgia mountain birds.  One of the few remnant populations before the days of transplants. You can get it directly from Herb.  Charlie Elliott's book has a mix of stories and some how-to, but it is all enjoyable.

Great old classics:

Henry Edwards Davis, The American Wild Turkey
Simon Everitt, Tales of Wild Turkey Hunting
Edward A. McIlhenny, The Wild Turkey and Its Hunting
Tom Turpin, Hunting the Wild Turkey

(These last four have been available, until recently at least, in high quality reprints at a reasonable price through Lovett Willams website.  His daughter takes care of the orders.)