OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Custom Etched soundboards, What do you think?

Started by drew23, June 03, 2014, 10:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drew23

Made these as a swap on some shells here on the forum. What does everyone think? I reverse etched a couple just to see what they looked like. These are 1/8" glass 3" diameter. Just wanted to see what everyone thought. I always wanted to make some calls but, I guess making a few components is close enough for now.

I have done a lot of glass but, never any soundboards.

| Justin |

mikejd

fastford04

Very awesome!

Sent from Tiny's iPhone using Tapatalk

pappy

Those are way cool! I use the etching cream from Hobby Lobby when I etch on glass? How do you like the results of your etching cream? How thick do you apply it?
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

TarheelTurk

Sweet looking soundboards !! And so's that call of yours Pappy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

WildSpur

Nice!

Not to hijack but what usually gets the etching or engraving?   Is it the underside of the playing surface of the sound board?  Does it matter?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

pappy

Quote from: WildSpur on June 03, 2014, 08:58:18 PM
Nice!

Not to hijack but what usually gets the etching or engraving?   Is it the underside of the playing surface of the sound board?  Does it matter?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It really doesn't make too much difference. It could help in the glue with the surface roughed up somewhat.
tel...573-380-8206

drew23

Pappy,
I actually sandblast all my work. I think it makes a smoother and more even etch. Most of the cream work I have seen has streaks or is uneven. How does it work for you?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mastevt

That's pretty cool!  I like it!  I got large blast cabinet that I hardly use anymore.  Just may have to start using it again.

pappy

Quote from: drew23 on June 03, 2014, 09:28:33 PM
Pappy,
I actually sandblast all my work. I think it makes a smoother and more even etch. Most of the cream work I have seen has streaks or is uneven. How does it work for you?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I used it more or less for decorative purposes, I agree it does a streaky job, and had to follow it up with conditioning stone in most cases. I think the sand blasting is the best. I used self stick foam rubber for my stenciling.
tel...573-380-8206