OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Russell boots

Started by savduck, June 01, 2014, 12:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter22

I have worn the Danner Pronghorn snakeboots the past two years and am very pleased with them. I had to wade a fairly deep creek this spring to get to a bird and I could feel some dampness after I got across the creek. But walking across growed up fields early in the morning my feet never get wet. But they are leather boots. Not sure if there is such a thing as fully waterproof leather.

ltprod

Danner pronghorn snake boots!!!!!

J-Shaped

Has anybody tried the Irish Setter Vaprtreks? They look interesting. I too have been considering some Russells, but the general consensus seems to be love/hate on the fit piece based on my research. Much of my local hunting necessitates a rubber boot so I've been considering taking what I'd spend on a pair of Russells and getting the Lacrosse Mudlite snake boots, which I've heard great things about, and a new pair of lace-ups. I split my time now between Lacrosse Alpha Burlys and the Rocky snake boots, but my last pair of Rocky's all but disintegrated on me this spring and they will be my LAST pair. They're comfortable, but I've never had a pair that kept out water, even when new.

http://hunt.irishsetterboots.com/irishsetter-shoe/2875-irish-setter/2875-irish-setter-hunt-mens-17-inch-boot-brownrealtree-xtra-green-camouflage

J. Adams

Quote from: J-Shaped on June 21, 2014, 11:55:19 AM
Has anybody tried the Irish Setter Vaprtreks? They look interesting. I too have been considering some Russells, but the general consensus seems to be love/hate on the fit piece based on my research. Much of my local hunting necessitates a rubber boot so I've been considering taking what I'd spend on a pair of Russells and getting the Lacrosse Mudlite snake boots, which I've heard great things about, and a new pair of lace-ups. I split my time now between Lacrosse Alpha Burlys and the Rocky snake boots, but my last pair of Rocky's all but disintegrated on me this spring and they will be my LAST pair. They're comfortable, but I've never had a pair that kept out water, even when new.

http://hunt.irishsetterboots.com/irishsetter-shoe/2875-irish-setter/2875-irish-setter-hunt-mens-17-inch-boot-brownrealtree-xtra-green-camouflage

I got the vaptreks about mid season this year, they are pretty good, I may sell them though,  I just can't seem to get used to wearing a high top lace boot, I always end up going back to old green unis lacrosse.
I had a pair of mudlites, non snake version and sold them, they were hot and heavy in the standard version, I have been accused of walking too much too though..

fl panhandler

I've had my Russell Turtle Skin snake boots for 10 years. I have treated them with Obenhaufs leather conditioner a couple of times during the year and have not had any leaking problems. They still perform as well today as the first day I bought them. You do have to do some maintenance periodically, but for me they are great boots and fit me better than any of the 4-5 previous snake boots I've had. Living in Fl, I wear them spring and fall during the turkey and deer seasons so they definitely get lot of use. Del, if you decide to get a pair you do not have to allow for tucking in your pants. When I ordered mine that was a question I asked and was told I didn't have to. Hope that helps you make a decision. I just got tired of having to buy a new pair every few years. These will be the last  snake boots I will have to buy. Good luck.
Rick

nitro

My experiences parallel Rick's ..

With care, the boots hold up very well. I bit the bullet and didn't really worry about the initial cost of the boots (based largely on the other Russell boots I own)...  amortized over the minimum 10 years I have in the boots so far, I am pleased with my return on investment. 

Remember- CUSTOM MADE to YOUR FEET.... in the USA.. I have never had any quality related problems out of anything I have purchased from Russell Moccasin..

Wish I could say that about all the Boots I have bought in my life..

Quote from: fl panhandler on June 23, 2014, 09:37:04 AM
I've had my Russell Turtle Skin snake boots for 10 years. I have treated them with Obenhaufs leather conditioner a couple of times during the year and have not had any leaking problems. They still perform as well today as the first day I bought them. You do have to do some maintenance periodically, but for me they are great boots and fit me better than any of the 4-5 previous snake boots I've had. Living in Fl, I wear them spring and fall during the turkey and deer seasons so they definitely get lot of use. Del, if you decide to get a pair you do not have to allow for tucking in your pants. When I ordered mine that was a question I asked and was told I didn't have to. Hope that helps you make a decision. I just got tired of having to buy a new pair every few years. These will be the last  snake boots I will have to buy. Good luck.
Rick
Royal Slam 2008

Yoder409

Quote from: savduck on June 20, 2014, 09:13:22 PM
Sounds like I may be getting some Danners

Just pray you don't have to send them back for any problems.

Danner's return policy is the reason I only ever owned one pair of their boots in my life.  I won't even consider ever buying another from them.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

HartClemson99

I have owned my Russell turkey boots since 2000.  They have been resoled 3 times and are due for another set of soles.  They are as waterproof as a leather boot can be.  I use Obenhaufs on them at the beginning of the season and maybe another time if I am walking through plenty of water.

Concerning every other major brand of commercially made boots, I have never had a pair not leak within a year. 

Buy one pair of Russell's as an investment as over time, they will save you money.  You won't regret your purchase.  Call Joe Gonyo in Wisconsin and tell him Hart sent you!
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

Tail Feathers

I've never tried Russell boots but I find my Cabela's Full Draw boots very comfortable.
They lost any semblance of waterproof after a couple months but they are comfortable.
I've worn them three or four seasons now.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GSLAM95

I got a call from Bill at Russell yesterday, they received my boots, reviewed the pictures and after inspecting the boots Bill wants me to have my feet remeasured.  He said that from where the boots have broken down it is definitely a non fitting issue.  They are going to start from scratch and build me another pair.  At this point I can not complain about their customer service and really hope the next pair fits better.
I know from all the past reviews of folks I have spoken with that if you get a pair that fits you will never wear anything else.  Keeping my fingers crossed...

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

redjones

You might take a look here if your looking for new Snake boots.

http://www.snakeboots.com     

Greg
Semper Fi

Gunslinger1

I have 3 pair of Russell boots. The first pair was made 8 yrs ago around a custom footbed I had sent to them with measurements. They fit OK. The next time I drove to Berlin to be fitted to make sure fit was proper. I had 2 pair made and neither fit. One pair to small the other to big. The big pair was remade then came too small. After several calls no satisfaction. The boots set in my closet for 4 yrs. At the 14 NWTF  convention  I told the salesman my story he measured my foot and had me send them back. I felt they should have remade the boots. They didn't they stretched them. They don't fit like a custom boot should but at least I can wear them.

I am not sure if they had a generation of boot makers retire and the craft wasn't passed on properly or what either way it's a maybe wether you get a pair of boots that fit properly. I doubt I ever purchase another pair from them. I have a narrow foot and boot selection is smaller. Does anyone know of a proper custom boot maker that they have had good luck with?

I have been on this site for awhile and love the information it has stepped up my game. Thanks for all your help. 

callmakerman

After reading all of this post I think I'll stay with my Lacrosse Burley's. Yes I may replace them about every 3-4 years but when I'm walking in the swap and river bottoms where I hunt I know my feet will stay dry and feel good on my feet. I've walked a ton of miles in these boots and can say I still love them. It would really piss me off to spend that much money only to have a bunch of headaches. JMO.

GSLAM95

Ginslinger1 I don't know about the others but I appreciate your feedback.  Although I had my feet measured by their staff at the last two NWTF conventions I am having my feet remeasured today by a friend.  The folks at Russell asked me to do this and resend new measurements.  I hope they get it right this time or I will be done with them as well.  I really want this to work out as the soles on these boots were super quiet and I could feel every twig and leaf with each step.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

neal

Love mine! I've got the turtleskin snakes as well, it did take a bit to break them in but boy when they did, they're like wearing sneakers. I treat them with Obenhaufs on a regular basis. I've used several brands of snakes and the best I could get was two springs worth of turkey hunting out of them. The Danners LaCrosse and Irish setters I've owned don't compare to the quality and comfort in the Russells. Plus made in the good ol USA.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.