OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nemesis bird

Started by turkeyfeathers, May 30, 2014, 09:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyfeathers

I post on another forum the day before yesterdays hunt and yesterdays hunt:
So tomorrow is my last hurrah at a bird that's been taunting me for years. Definitely the head honcho of the woods.

In the last few years I've almost killed him numerous times

Had him coming hard double gobbling along with a 2 yr old. The 2 yr old beat him to me. 2 yr old went quiet (tired of getting his butt whooped I'm sure) and snuck in behind me and all I heard was him puff up and then alarm putt. Big boy was soon not closing the last 100 yards to me. I smoked the 2 yr old days later that strutted to my deke without a gobble.

Had him "almost" crest the knoll at 15 yards from me. All I could see was top of tail and half his head. I should have scratched in the leaves to get him to come up the last few feet.

Had him coming until I looked at watch 11:45 and no time for him to close the gap. Snuck out of the woods.

Had him at 70 yards with a hen for an hour. He had two options. Come right by us or enter the woods. He chose enter the woods as my deke wouldn't walk to him as he had closed the gap for her already.

Busted me relieving myself of Tim Horton's coffee as he came in silent (same day as above) Had other birds ripping off aways so I figured it was a safe time to pee, not !

After gobbling 93 times on roost I had him coming an hour later. See his head popping thru the field. He gets to about 100 yards and stops gobbling. I only soft purred once he was inside 150. Thru the brambles I can't see him. Poof he disappears. When it's time to get out of the woods I walk out to my DSD hen decoy. "What the heck" The DSD index card that was in camo bag had gotten wet and completely wrapped around her head. It looked like she was wearing a babushka. I couldn't have purposefully wrapped her up any better. Looked like she was ready to go play bingo in Cheektowaga. I literally laughed.

Yesterday the yotes were directly where he has been roosting at 5 am. About 150 yards from me. I can't get any closer as it's posted. He eventually starts ripping at 8:30 or so. Never heard him fly down. I know his patterns and know he'll end up coming my way. He committed and he's coming. Gun up and figure he should be 125 or so and it starts pouring and it's completely sunny out. He shuts down not to be heard from again.

Maybe tomorrow is my day

7 th day hunting. Killed a 2 yr old opening day. Hunted 3 days with 11 yr old daughter in tow. Hunted Monday Tuesday and today solo. Really wish she could have been there today. Got up at 3 am , made my hour drive dodging deer and critters as usual. Climbed ball breaker mountain and sitting by 4:45. Bird gobbles right where he should as has for years at about 5:45. Does his usual little head east for a little bit, comes back and ends up where he started. I 3 note yelp, and soft. He's about 300 yards out. Immediately rips. Let him gobble a few more times. 2 soft purrs, hits me again. Can tell he's facing me now and on a string. Wait a few more gobbles, three note yelp with a purr, cuts off my call. He's now inside 150 and hammering. I threw him one last purr on the side of my leg. Of course I'm facing the wrong way. I'm covering the field but he's coming hardwoods. I can see him strutting and his multicolored head at 100 yards thru the trees. As he goes behind a few trees I slowly adjust( I'm a right handed shot) and scratch in the leaves behind me with my foot knowing I'm going to make a little noise and why not sound like a hen scratching while doing it. He's at about 40 yards. Heard my scratching, I've got the 1187 shouldered against my tree. As he heard me scratch he let her rip, comes out of strut and is looking for this so called hen he desires. Circle x on his noggin I squeezed off my shot. The payload of heavi mag blends smashed him hard. Barely any flapping as I run out to him. 39 yards. This is my brothers property which is for sale and may be the last time I get to hunt it. Think it's the 9th or 10th bird I've taken from sitting next to that same tree. After tagging the bird I sat in the woods for a good half hour pondering life, about how I just took the life of the King bird, and soaking everything in. I feel like I knew I would by finally getting him today after many close calls over the years. Happy and sad.

turkeyfeathers

turkeyfeathers

i always seem to plug 2 yr olds with 3/4" hooks

turkeyfeathers

First double bearded bird

Vabirddog

Congrats! Always Exhilarating but bittersweet when you carry the monarch out. Good stuff.

Gooserbat

Good Bird and Congrats
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

NCYelper

Congratulations!  Good read.

jmck

CONGRATS ON THE BATTLE AND THE MEMORIES THAT MONARCH PROVIDED

mikejd

Tail Feathers

I had a nemesis bird one time.
I think he died of old age because I'm sure no one ever shot him. :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

captin_hook

zelmo1

Happy endings always make my eyes well up, and end with a bang and twitch. Congrats on getting your nemesis. Never got mine, old age and coyotes did him in 3 days before the season. I will find another one, great story.

DirtNap647

canadatom

Congrats on getting your nemesis bird! I had one a few years ago myself and once I got him it felt like I had just lost a good friend, funny how you can't wait and hope you get 'em and then when you do you almost have mixed emotions about it.