OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's a good vest alternative?

Started by Onpoint, May 30, 2014, 01:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

I use a beard buster belt now and I really like it. I added some things to my belt and it does really well for my style of hunting. I hsd one years ago and it held up great,  lasted about 4 seasons. I bought a new one thid year and it was falling apart within 3 weeks.

I had a guy say he saw something similar that looked a little better thst was new for 2014. He thinks he saw it on primos website but I csnt find it there and neither csn he now.

I've looked at the cabelas spees seat 1/2 and many other things. Anybody else got any ideas? I'm very Interested in the product this man seen once but I can't seem to find it and he csnt remember what it was called.

There's a couple reasons I don't wear a vest. 1. I like an athletic fit and most vest fit too loose and bulky. If I were to try another vest I definitely wouldn't get a one size fits all, I'd get a small/medium or maybe even a women's vest if it had enough pockets.

I worked in 7 gobblers thst died this year and didn't wear a vest for any of em. I would like to have a vest for those days it's cold in thr morning snd Warms up and ya gotta she'd clothes. Another reason I'd like a vest is for rainy days so you can put out a rain jacket on over it and keep your gear half way dry. This pack I use leaves your gear exposed and ya gotta come home and dry everything out. Most times it rained this year I just took mouth calls and thst was it.
The vest I have is a like new bucklick creek lounger from basspro. If anybody has a vest that I might would like maybe we could work out a trade. I'd try the russell limbhanger or tactical tat'r 2 if they were a size small/medium. 

In the meantime though I would like to find a new pack other than a vest cuz most days I won't wear a vest anyways even if I do find one I like. 

Thanks
Justin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Stickbow98

I've gone to a Brossie Bag, which is a possibles style shoulder bag made for turkey hunting.

Check it out at: www.brossie.com/shoulder-hunting-bag.html

Click on the YouTube link and see how much it can carry in the video they have.
Really like mine!  :icon_thumright:

"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

mikejd

I cant believe stickbow beat me to the brossie bag.
actually I use a very similar bag to the brossie but it is made by Penn's woods.
I was looking for a new one this year as my Penn's woods is about 15yrs old now. And I found out that it is no longer made.
So I bought the brossie. Its a great bag and the only real difference is that my Penn's woods has a thin nylon waist strap that keeps it from swinging when you have to run or hustle along. This is an add on that will be easy to add when this becomes my full time bag. As you can see in the pics it is laid out very well for a turkey hunter with special pockets for all sorts of calls.

redmag

That bag looks great.  Can you carry a flexible decoy in there minus all the calls they depict?  I don't carry but a couple mouth calls, 2 tube calls and maybe a pot call.  I really like that bag better than the vest I currently wear.

VanHelden Game Calls

HUh I like the bag idea.  I currently use the beard bust waist belt, its better then the vest I had and better then using a back pack but I am still not thrilled with my set-up.  I have been tossing the idea of trying a vest again but this bag intrigues me. 

What do you guys use for a eat pad and how do you move with that?

redmag

Many moons ago I used a bag very much like this that was of military origin.  I think they called them map bags.  Somehow, it disappeared.

mikejd

Yes you guys will like the bag and without all of the calls a decoy should fit. If you go to the Brossie site
thwre is a you tube video and you can see the load out they he puts into the bag.
this will give you a better idea of the actual size.

troutfisher13111

Thanks for this thread, I just ordered a brossie bag

2much2loud

Do they make them in bottom land like the one in stickbows pic? All I see is MOBU

Dtrkyman

Like the bag idea, several time a year I go with only a mouth call, shotgun and cushion, amazing, it feels like I am naked in the turkey woods!  I am usually toting a blind decoys(stuffers) bow, vest.  Love those few days running around with nothing on!

chcltlabz

I love my ol Tom shirt and pants.  Has all the pockets I need already in them, and its the only shirt or pants I can find that are made specifically for turkey hunters.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

mikejd

Quote from: 2much2loud on May 30, 2014, 09:28:57 AM
Do they make them in bottom land like the one in stickbows pic? All I see is MOBU

I couldn't find one.

Stickbow98

Give them a call and ask them about the camo options. When I ordered mine it just happened to come in Bottomland. (I expected the MOBU actually.)

As for a seat, I use either a pad that I can clip to my belt loop, or I sometimes carry a folding stool I can sling over my shoulder.

Ron
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

Tail Feathers

Allen makes one.  The price is good but I've never seen one in person.  I don't think this is the one I mentioned to you but it may be worth a look.
http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-Allen-Turkey-Leg-Pack/dp/B00EZA5448
Love to hunt the King of Spring!