OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's a good vest alternative?

Started by Onpoint, May 30, 2014, 01:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

The link Howl posted is the pack no used for years. I loved thst thing and haven't been able to find another one since. That thing held up for several HARD seasons. Very good pack. I wish I could find another one.

I've just about decided on something. I'm gonna continue to use the beard buster or something similar for my go to calls and will more than likely just use it on most days. However I think I'm going to invest in a nice day pack that doesn't bounce around if I need to run to reposition on one. Also I'd like it to be designed where I could set up against a tree with the pack on if I needed to. This pack would be used to hold water, box call, rain gear, maybe a layer or 2 I she'd as thr day warms up, pruners, maybe a couple candy bars and that's about it. I like packs thst have pockets to secure everything. I don't want a $100+ box in 5 here just flopping around. I've never bought a nice day pack before, ive always just went with the nicest Walmart had to offer and right now that's a $30 field line I use for stand hunting whitetails. Works great for that but I wouldn't wanna lug it around for miles in the turkwy woods. If I go this route I am going to get a nice pack that will do just what I need it to do and ride great on my back. If it don't id never use it.

Rick Howard

I use my old school bag.  This one is a north face, model I'm unsure of.  Fits nice.  I can walk for miles without noticing it.  Holds what I need, want, and could hold more.  What you see there is what I bring with me.  Late in the morning, when it gets warm, I stuff my jacket in there.  The side pockets  keep me a box call and drink handy while walking.  The paper towel and thermacell ride in the large pocket.  When I'm sitting the bag sits, open, next to me so I can get what I want easily.  I clip my seat cushion to the back for walking.  If the lack of camo bothers you.... I'm sure you can find one in olive drab, brown, or whatever.

mikejd

A pack is ok but with the shoulder bag most of your calls are actually very accessible as you walk along. The pot calls are in individual pouches just inder the flap and all your other stuff is available to you just by feel. So as I walk along and stop to make a call or 2 I can just reach down grab a call that I choose and make a call. With the pack you have to take it of open it up and grab what you need. All of that fumbling \ound just seems annoying to me.

Rick Howard

This has individual pouches for 2 pots and 4 strikers.  It possible to fit more but I don't feel the need for more.  Like you said though all calls are not accessible while walking.  How is the shoulder bag for walking long distances? 

mikejd

Quote from: itzDirty on June 01, 2014, 04:02:00 PM
This has individual pouches for 2 pots and 4 strikers.  It possible to fit more but I don't feel the need for more.  Like you said though all calls are not accessible while walking.  How is the shoulder bag for walking long distances?

Like I said earlier. Right now I am using a bag made by Penns Woods, very similar to the Brossie the only noticable difference it the lack of the 1/2" nylon waste strap. I have been using the penns woods for about 15yrs and I sometimes cover 5-10 miles in a day. The waste strap makes it almost unnoticeable. This belt is something that can be added to the Brossie for a few bucks. I even set up with out taking the bag off. I just sit down just in case I have to make a move in a hurry. No issue at all I can even dig my things out while sitting.

Rick Howard

Thanks.  I'm liking the sounds of this brossie. 

turkey john

Quote from: chcltlabz on May 30, 2014, 11:59:12 AM
I love my ol Tom shirt and pants.  Has all the pockets I need already in them, and its the only shirt or pants I can find that are made specifically for turkey hunters.

Didn't know they still made the Ol Tom shirt/pants. I've just about worn mine out. Plenty of pockets inside and out of the shirt....Who makes them now? Thanks.

TauntoHawk

Ol' tom vestless shirt, get a box call pouch that goes on a belt and youd be good to go.

good back pack can carry extra layers, water, knife ect. its the way to go for lots of hiking
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

troutfisher13111

After I placed my order for a brossie, I emailed them asking for one in bottomland. I never got a response, but it just came in bottomland. So, they are available.

mikejd

Quote from: Terry on June 03, 2014, 09:47:30 AM
After I placed my order for a brossie, I emailed them asking for one in bottomland. I never got a response, but it just came in bottomland. So, they are available.

Thats great. Actually mine is in AP green.

What do you think.

troutfisher13111

I will know later after I get home and stuff it.

gwa

The Brossie is ok, mine is AP. They make it look appealing in their video but I will tell you, it gets heavy when you try and pack it all in. You definitely figure out what you can do without....

Denny

troutfisher13111

Well here is my thoughts on the Brossie now that I have my gear in it.

Everyone is different, but for me being mobile and not feeling bulky is very important. Also, being able to just grab my gear and go is important as well. I use less and less gear every year. I also use a diaphragm call 99.8% of the time, so I don't carry many calls.

Basically, I think this shoulder bag is perfect for my style of hunting. After adding my gear I carried it a bit, sat down a few times against a tree, and took it off and on a bunch. It is completely out of the way, comfortable, and I like that I can access everything easily. I also like that I can quickly sit down against a tree without having to take it off.

Here is what I have in it:

Box call
1 slate call
3 strikers
Owl hooter
crow call
Thermacell
turkey carrier
License and success gear
digital fishing type scale
small camera
spare diaphragm call
chalk and scotchbrite pads
compass
knife

Thanks again guys for bringing this pack to my attention.

mikejd

Quote from: Terry on June 03, 2014, 05:09:27 PM
Well here is my thoughts on the Brossie now that I have my gear in it.

Everyone is different, but for me being mobile and not feeling bulky is very important. Also, being able to just grab my gear and go is important as well. I use less and less gear every year. I also use a diaphragm call 99.8% of the time, so I don't carry many calls.

Basically, I think this shoulder bag is perfect for my style of hunting. After adding my gear I carried it a bit, sat down a few times against a tree, and took it off and on a bunch. It is completely out of the way, comfortable, and I like that I can access everything easily. I also like that I can quickly sit down against a tree without having to take it off.

Here is what I have in it:

Box call
1 slate call
3 strikers
Owl hooter
crow call
Thermacell
turkey carrier
License and success gear
digital fishing type scale
small camera
spare diaphragm call
chalk and scotchbrite pads
compass
knife

Thanks again guys for bringing this pack to my attention.

I am glad that you like it. Lets see some pics of the load out.

firstflight111

I just use a backpack anymore  I have many different sizes from small when it's just me ,or 2xl for when the kids go I can pack all kinds of stuff in it ,my big one .3 decoys ,heater ,calls ,thermacell,  ammo, my strikers ,facemasks ,gloves,rain gear ,butt wipes .

Sent from my C811 4G

CUPPED AND COMMITTED