turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 Gauge Loads

Started by zelmo1, May 29, 2014, 06:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

I want to shoot a gobbler with my old SKB model 7300 3" 20 ga pump. My dad bought me this gun 30 years ago and it would be cool to get it done with it. I shot lots of ducks with lead back then so I know it will do the job. It has a fixed full choke.  I am just looking for a place to start. I am partial to Winchester and Federal. If anyone has seen any Longbeards in 20 ga, let me know. I did not see them on the Winchester site, but someone here may know if they are planning on having one for next year. Thanks, Al Baker

surehuntsalot

Try some of the Federal Flight  Control  shells through that fixed full choke,you just might be surprised.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Dtrkyman

Federal heavyweight 7s no doubt , even the 2 3/4 pattern well, all my old single can shoot.

owlhoot

The hwt 7  3" in my 37a win. 20 with a fixed full do around 110 average at 40yards, good 20" too.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: zelmo1 on May 29, 2014, 06:27:15 PM
I want to shoot a gobbler with my old SKB model 7300 3" 20 ga pump. My dad bought me this gun 30 years ago and it would be cool to get it done with it. I shot lots of ducks with lead back then so I know it will do the job. It has a fixed full choke.  I am just looking for a place to start. I am partial to Winchester and Federal. If anyone has seen any Longbeards in 20 ga, let me know. I did not see them on the Winchester site, but someone here may know if they are planning on having one for next year. Thanks, Al Baker
A 1984 manufacturing date for your SKB should make it tungsten shot safe but you might want to check with the folks at SKB just to be certain. With fixed full chokes on older guns with softer barrel steel, you can open that full up pretty quickly with hard shot.

If it's okay, you might want to try some Hevi-13 with #7 shot. That's a very good load.

I always start a "project" like that with a very clean bore and would recommend that as well.

Winchester has no current plans to produce a 20 gauge Longbeard shell. That could of course change and if it did, I would expect it to be announced at SHOT next year.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Marc

Federal Heavyweight and Hevi-Shot are great choices, and I would say would probably outpreform a 12 gauge with lead...

If you want to stick with lead, I really like the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads.  3" 1 1/4 oz of #6 nickle-plated lead shells...  I patterned some of these out of a standard full choke in my 20 gauge this year, and had adequate patterns to 35 yards...  With a good turkey choke, I am sure this could be improved.

Next season, I will likely spend the cash and get a good 20 ga. choke, and get some of the Hevi-Shot (or Heavyweight) loads in the 20 ga...  A lot easier to carry that 20 ga., and probably a lot more comfortable to rest it on my knee for long periods of time.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

zelmo1

Thanks for the input everyone. I will experiment a bit to see what gives me the best pattern with the gun as is. If I am not happy with it, off to Briley it goes. If I go that route, I will get it threaded with threads to handle a patternmaster code black. Thanks again, Al Baker

Tail Feathers

My buddy has great results with those Fiocchi 6's.  He gets an acceptable 40 yard pattern and killed a tom at 38 with it this year.  I have a box of them but haven't tried them.  I'll pattern before next season since I have them, but the HW7's are pretty good in my gun as is.
Quote from: Marc on May 30, 2014, 01:07:13 PM
Federal Heavyweight and Hevi-Shot are great choices, and I would say would probably outpreform a 12 gauge with lead...

If you want to stick with lead, I really like the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads.  3" 1 1/4 oz of #6 nickle-plated lead shells...  I patterned some of these out of a standard full choke in my 20 gauge this year, and had adequate patterns to 35 yards...  With a good turkey choke, I am sure this could be improved.

Next season, I will likely spend the cash and get a good 20 ga. choke, and get some of the Hevi-Shot (or Heavyweight) loads in the 20 ga...  A lot easier to carry that 20 ga., and probably a lot more comfortable to rest it on my knee for long periods of time.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

nitro

I'm still sticking with the 12.......

However, the fellas I hunted with this year had real good results with the Federal HW7s...

I also looked at some birds that got smashed by the TSS 9s.. Real impressive..

I have a 20 ga 870 set up and a Savage 220A that needs to get doctored up before next year. The advances in the ammo makes carrying a light gun attractive for sure.
Royal Slam 2008