turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Weatherby sa-08 shooting low

Started by Red Huck, May 27, 2014, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Huck

Little disappointed with the patterns out of my new Weatherby Sa-08 and sumtoy. 123 with 7s fed. hev, 141 with 6s at a measure 40 yd and 6" low. Really tight at 25yd and about 4" low.

savduck

Huh, yours is the first one I've heard of that doesnt like the 7s. Thats the best fed 6 pattern ive ever seen. In fact its dang impressive. That many fed 6s is a straight wrecking ball.

Did you clean your gun when you first got it or just go straight into shooting? Did you burn out your sum toy with some cheap low brass? Ive seen some guns shoot weird with the 7s until the are burnt in. You may have some grease or oil build up that is affecting the shooting if you didnt clean it.

Thats also the first one that I've heard of that didn't shoot fairly straight. Both of the two i shot where to poa with the bead. Id try deep cleaning it if you haven't already, if you have do it again. Run 10 or so low brass through the choke then try a fed 7 again. If that doesnt work, Sum toy will trade your choke out.

Honestly though, if that 140 pattern holds up with the sixes, id be shooting those over the 7s anyway.
Georgia Boy

Red Huck

I shot a couple of cheap shells through it. I also shot the choke in a Mossberg 500 with  similar results . It didn't appear to need cleaning before I shot it, but it will be clean before I go back to the board. I've only got 1 7shot left so I'll have to find some. Right now I'm looking for an adjustable open sight that will fit on the rib so I can adjust  poa .How many shell do you think it will take to burn out the choke. I'm open  to any helpful suggestions. I put the factory improved cyl in, shot some 7.5 dove loads poa and pattern were normal

savduck

It may be the choke. William will change it out with no problem.

I use a dead ringer on my weatherby, several buddies have a FF2. The dead ringer does allow some left right adjustment and also allow up/down. You slide sights forward and backwards on the gun for height adjustment. I honestly don't know if it will have the adjustment you need, but you never know.
Georgia Boy

Red Huck

Quote from: savduck on May 28, 2014, 07:29:22 PM
It may be the choke. William will change it out with no problem.

I use a dead ringer on my weatherby, several buddies have a FF2. The dead ringer does allow some left right adjustment and also allow up/down. You slide sights forward and backwards on the gun for height adjustment. I honestly don't know if it will have the adjustment you need, but you never know.
Finding an adjustable  sight that has enough adjustment that will easily go on and off so that I can use this gun for dove and quail also is proving to be a problem so far.
Got a 12 that is on the money with heavy-13 and those couple of #s are not looking that bad right now .

CrustyRusty

Red. Put a pad on your comb, some are easily removable.  BERETTA makes a gelpad that sticks on the comb and comes off easily.  There may be other makers too.  This will raise your poi.

Red Huck

Thanks that maybe the best way to go,

savduck

here is another option. Find a saddle mount built for a beretta 390. It matches up perfect to the weatherby. I own one made by redfield. the saddle mount is removable. You could put a red dot scope on that.
Georgia Boy

Red Huck

Quote from: savduck on May 29, 2014, 09:54:38 PM
here is another option. Find a saddle mount built for a beretta 390. It matches up perfect to the weatherby. I own one made by redfield. the saddle mount is removable. You could put a red dot scope on that.
Beretta 390 20ga I assume. I think I like that Idea. I can brought a cheek pad to raise my site plane ,but I don't think that's a problem. Had my wife take a couple of shots with me sighting the gun. The gun seems to fit me pretty well. May order a Carlson choke an try it.

savduck

Yes, one that matches a beretta 390. Mine was a 12 ga version, i just took a pair of channel locks and squeezed it in a little. Went to the hardware store and found some little small black rubber washers that i used for spacers.

All the pre drilled holes and action slide match up perfect on the red field version. I bought mine used from someone so I'm not sure where you would find another. Aimtech makes a bunch you may be able to call them.
Georgia Boy

The Cohutta Strutter

Red, the only other thing I can think of if you have a mid bead set up on your rib is to place the muzzle bead on top of the mid bead as you sight down the rib to raise Poi. I had to shoot my Benelli Montefeltro 20 in this manner before I installed the proper drop shim and adjustable sight...just a thought if you have a mid bead....Strutter Oh, a big X2 on that #6 pattern, even if you go 130 consistently I'd look no further! Hey, keep us posted on that 6 pattern if you go that route...
Anybody seen America lately?

Red Huck

Quote from: The Cohutta Strutter on June 03, 2014, 03:29:45 PM
Red, the only other thing I can think of if you have a mid bead set up on your rib is to place the muzzle bead on top of the mid bead as you sight down the rib to raise Poi. I had to shoot my Benelli Montefeltro 20 in this manner before I installed the proper drop shim and adjustable sight...just a thought if you have a mid bead....Strutter Oh, a big X2 on that #6 pattern, even if you go 130 consistently I'd look no further! Hey, keep us posted on that 6 pattern if you go that route...
Thanks for the reply. There is no mid bead on this gun and the front bead is very small. I'm going to try a few things next time I go to the pattern board, Got another choke coming, going to borrow my buddy's bear tooth comb raising kit. Got some lead with the fcwads to zero in the poi with poa .

The Cohutta Strutter

Sounds good and keep at it as I think the poi can be worked out. If not, you've made the effort and it's your call to keep it or move on. I found that some guns just require more tinkering than others to get what you want. Does'nt make them any less effective with the end results just more effort/cost to get there. Strutter....

Red Huck

Shot at the pattern board again today. Found a clip 9/32 clip on front sight in my hunting stuff. Stuck it on about mid rib didn't fit perfectly but I was able to use it to get on target by aiming over the clip on and seeing the front bead. Shot all my stock chokes at 25yd with 7.5s  they were OK. Shot some  Fed mag-shot 6s with the Fc wad to get zeroed in. Then switched to the Fed HW 6s .The Sumtoy shot a much tighter pattern than the Carlson.575.The 6s 84 in a10 at 40 the 7 only one I had 127 at 40.

The Cohutta Strutter

Nice, both of those patterns/shot sizes would wreck one!