OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What guide in Mississippi?

Started by MACHINIST, May 26, 2014, 08:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACHINIST

A few friends and I are talking about booking a hunt and from what I have heard MN is the place to go.If you have any info on a good guide service let me know.Also let me know where you would go if it weren't Mississippi

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

FullChoke

If you're wanting plenty of big gobbler's in MN, check out anywhere near Bemidji or the Twin cities.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

If I was looking to stack them up, Mississippi is on the list of the top 3 states Id avoid.

Southern birds tend to gobble a lot less, are subjected to intense pressure and they often carry a lot of hens. You can certainly go to Mississippi and have a good hunt.... But no southern hunt will ever compare to something like Nebraska or Kansas.....

MACHINIST

Awesome,keep the suggestions coming!!!

honker22

machinist,

I can't help you on an outfitter in MS any more than a quick google search.  I'm not sure where you hunt now, but if you are looking for a challenge, then MS is the place for ya.  I wouldn't rule out Alabama either.

My advice is to get on the phone and start talking with these guys.  I hunt a good bit in MS on private and public land and absolutely love it.  I wish I could tell you to go ahead and hunt some public ground, but you may walk away hating the place... the pressure is high and the birds are as tough as any I've ever seen.

Keep me posted on where you might go and I may can help you out a little bit.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

hunter22

My son and I have killed several swamp gobblers on public land in Mississippi. They are extremely hard to hunt because of the hunting pressure. We have found some remote places that require a lot of walking and get on gobblers about everytime we go there. Some of our fondest turkey hunting memories were made in those swamps. Tough birds but you feel like you have done something when you get one.

For Easterns I would consider Missouri or southeast Kansas. For Rios I would look at Oklahoma and Kansas for outfitted hunts.

deadbuck

I have lived in Mississippi all my life and can tell you that yes we have birds. I can also tell you that there aren't any guides or outfitters here you can buy a hunt with. The reason being our terrain is so thick and our birds so educated they are probably the toughest to kill anywhere in the world. The majority of our hunts you hear and work a bird but you never see him. A lot of us natives limit every year but it is because we hunt hard and know our areas like the back of our hands. If an out fitter or anybody in Mississippi guarantees you will see or kill a bird on a 3-5 day hunt you better keep your money in your pocket. We go to Kansas and Nebraska because it is a slam dunk. I rarely see an out of state tag in Mississippi during turkey season. It is what it is.

J. Adams

Lots of good and true info here...I recall about 20 years ago (I'm in Arkansas) thinking to myself.....man looky here Mississippi opens a good few weeks before it does here at home it is time to take a trip....so take a trip we did, for a few years running we chased them on national forest stuff, we "caught" a few, camped out, ended up at a gravel bar/beer drinking/crawfish eating/where in the world did all the good looking girls come from/4 wheeler riding party one afternoon/ had a lot of good times over the years, only got threatened once for being on some ole boys "turkeys"....he didn't believe me when I told him "his" was gobbling good early as I could hear them when I was walking the way back to the ones I was hunting on in there a mile...they are hard, hard headed turkeys, as all have said it's not somewhere you go to watch them come a long way or listen to a bunch of gobbling usually, but to me a turkey hunter owes himself a big ole bait of southern gobblers every now and then.

As far as current info I haven't been since 2001, I have some buds that still go about every other year but I haven't lined my dates up right lately, it may be time to revisit and take a few lessons from em.

good luck

I have not talked to him in many years, but he may still be doing some hunts, Ronnie Foy used to run a guide service and I think he took a few turkey hunters.

hunter22

Hey J. Adams,

I am from northeast Arkansas. What part are you in?

J. Adams

Quote from: hunter22 on May 27, 2014, 03:34:37 PM
Hey J. Adams,

I am from northeast Arkansas. What part are you in?

Hey Hunter22, I am in central, have a few ole buds in the ag business industry that live up your way.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: deadbuck on May 27, 2014, 01:29:13 PM
I have lived in Mississippi all my life and can tell you that yes we have birds. I can also tell you that there aren't any guides or outfitters here you can buy a hunt with. The reason being our terrain is so thick and our birds so educated they are probably the toughest to kill anywhere in the world. The majority of our hunts you hear and work a bird but you never see him. A lot of us natives limit every year but it is because we hunt hard and know our areas like the back of our hands. If an out fitter or anybody in Mississippi guarantees you will see or kill a bird on a 3-5 day hunt you better keep your money in your pocket. We go to Kansas and Nebraska because it is a slam dunk. I rarely see an out of state tag in Mississippi during turkey season. It is what it is.

Don't know what part of the state you are hunting in,but down my way when the season opens,the entire state of Arkansas shows up every year.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

MACHINIST

Lots of great info,Hows Illinois for birds,Greene county to be exact?I went there on a guided hunt in 2004 for deer and the outfitter has spring turkey hunts for a really good rate and you stay at his cabin.

J. Adams

Don't know what part of the state you are hunting in,but down my way when the season opens,the entire state of Arkansas shows up every year.
[/quote]

:OGturkeyhead: Everyone I know in MS says the same thing...."these dang arkys are all over the place".....You want to see a sight? Come to Arky during duck season

chcltlabz

Why don't you ask about hunting public land so you can get a lecture on where to park and how to avoid conflict with the locals :TooFunny:
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.