turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any idea what type of turkey this is?

Started by WildSpur, May 26, 2014, 04:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildSpur

A friend of mine shot this today.  It was a Jake.  They are thinking a heritage turkey.  I don't know anything about them.  What do you guys think?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Deputy 14

Looks like one that's lived in a pen. But I'm not much on turkey biology either.

Tail Feathers

I've seen a wild red phased hen that was half white.  She was on my hunting lease for a couple of years.  She was similarly colored, but white in front and red in back.
It happens I guess.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GobbleNut

I believe that is a Bourbon Red,...which is in the "heritage" classification of domestic turkeys.  What the heritage classification means is that these turkeys are more capable of living under "natural" conditions than some other breeds which are not.  It appears that your friend shot somebody's Thanksgiving turkey that had wandered too far from the pen!

SheGotHoOks

Yea.. he's a bourbon red for sure.. more than likely sum1's pet!! That sucks.. I have 4 pet turkeys.. and I would be heartbroken if anything ever happened to one of em! :( my gobbler is a blue slate with just a touch of bourbon red in him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MACHINIST

Its a dead one!!! HAHAHAHA Had to do it!!

Bigspurs68

If say that's a escapee. That tattered fan says pen raised for sure.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Marc

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

mikejd

Old Gobbler

The head and legs sure make it look like a farm bird
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

SheGotHoOks

one of my sweet turkeys.. this is our bearded hen.. she always comes up on the porch and looks in the storm door and talks to me! =D just thought if share ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Cool picture.  It is pretty amazing the bonds that we can make with other animals on this planet!  (Don't let her out during turkey season!)   ;)

Vabirddog

Remind him the season is for "WILD" turkeys.  :fud: :OGani:

sixbird

Yep, Bourbon Red...You can see the breed on the hatchery websites like McMurray, etc. Don't let your buddy read the descriptions of their temperament... :^(

firstflight111

Some poor kids 4 h project ..LOL

Nice bird great job .

Sent from my C811 4G

CUPPED AND COMMITTED