turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Season just getting hot in Maine.

Started by zelmo1, May 26, 2014, 12:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

Our season here in Maine is over next Saturday and the birds are just getting hot. We did put our time in and got 5 birds between 4 of us, including a nice Tom for my buddies daughter. It was her 1st turkey and she did a great job. It was awesome to be a part of that. 2 out of 3 in NH also. It is the first time that I limited out in both states as well as the longest shot I ever had on a gobbler, 52 yards. I wish it didn't have to end. Good luck to all.

doublebarrel

Hey Zelmo....congrats!!! I limited  in mass and nh. My buddy limited in mass...nh and maine. Where abouts are you are you in maine.

srmturk

Wow!  Good to know because I'm in Bowdoin and they have SHUT DOWN!

zelmo1

Did they ever heat up in your area( Bowdoin)? I live in York County

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

srmturk

Quote from: zelmo1 on May 27, 2014, 05:19:36 PM
Did they ever heat up in your area( Bowdoin)? I live in York County
They were gobbling well for first couple of weeks.  I got one but getting number two has been a bear. I haven't heard a gobble in over two weeks now.  How about down there?

zelmo1

Some gobbling on the roost and when they fly down. If they get hens you are done. They have been with them from fly down to fly up. We worked one nice bird Monday but my buddies dad was not paying attention. I called him in to 20 yards and sat there with no gun. Real nice bird. One more chance at him on saturday

srmturk

Wow though.  At least they're still gobbling. I've forgotten what it sound like!

zelmo1

We are getting way off the beaten path. The birds here are shy because of the pounding they take. Putting the limit to 2 was good and bad, lots of NH hunters with a lot more Mass hunters coming up here. Northeastern Mass and Southern Maine are only 1/2 hour apart. Get out early and cover some ground. Good luck, we have one more shot here. We need a 23 pounder to cap off our season.

srmturk

I agree. I'm not sure the changes were all that wise.  At least where I am there isn't an over abundance of birds    I'm concerned about the pounding the hens may take this Fall when it's open for the month. Anyway....so you're still getting up at the crack of dawn I assume. What are you doing for calls as you cover ground?  Locators or hen calls?

zelmo1

I am helping my buddies who are not tagged out. I have one hot bird that has not seen any pressure yet. He is the last day bird. Same tree 6 days in a row. We use crow calls to roost and fly down and soft yelping at first light. We will get more aggressive as the day goes on. I think right now is a perfect time to use a Jake and 2 hens. If the bird will not come, challenge him. Good luck Saturday

srmturk

I'll be headed out in the morning and thanks...good luck to you all too