turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nesting debate

Started by steinea286, May 23, 2014, 02:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steinea286

Ok, I have been in the turkey woods for 15 years now and today I saw not only my first nest, but two nests in one day 100 yards apart. I flushed the hens off both nests in which there were 30 eggs between the two nests. Some people say the hens will come back, other say I should have sat on them to incubate ;)

Whats your opinions on hens getting bumped off nests? Do older turkeys come back to nests while younger birds may abandon? Do you think it takes a consecutive amount of "bumping" to get them to abondon? Granted this was right next to a subdivision and these birds on their nests probably saw people daily, but not at 10 feet....

mikejd

Absolutely come back. I have flushed the same bird from her nest multiple days in a row.

When you flush a hen she usually tries to get your attention on her to make you deter from her nest.

If
I also read somewhere that a bird will lay a specific amount of eggs so if you were to sneak in and steal an egg everyday she would continue to lay eggs until that number was hit.

owlhoot

Agree about the comeback to the nest , have seen it too. But always have never messed with the nest.

As far as the replacing missing ones ???  BUT IDK

ncturkey

She will be back. Just avoid going by them until mid June or later if you can.