OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WELL..... that's not good.

Started by Skeeterbait, March 17, 2011, 07:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeterbait

First morning to hunt and I headed to my favorite 800 acres.  Drove in well before daylight and drove right into a loading ground.  I knew they were going to select cut and fifth row the property this year but had been told it would be around june.  Went on down to the swamp and tried to hunt anyway.  heard nothing.  This place has been booming with gobblers the first week for the last 5 years.  Now nothing.  Bout 7AM I hear diesel tractors coming in and three feller bunchers crank up.  I can't blame the birds for leaving.  The noise rolled down the ridges and echoed up the creek bottom.  Well the place will be fine next year, maybe better.  But it is screwed this year.  Got a couple other places but nothing as trustworthy as this tract.

chatterbox

Sorry to hear that Skeeter. I hope you get onto some good land this year.

VAHUNTER

Good things come to those who wait

Tail Feathers

Don't give up on the spot!  I killed one last year with the timber crew so close I swear they were gonna cut the roost tree out from under him before flydown.  Killed one a few years back that gobbled when I stepped off the road onto some dry leaves to let the skidder come by.
That stuff don't seem to bother them as much as it does us.  Hang with the spot another day!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

hookedspur

Quote from: chatterbox on March 17, 2011, 07:15:01 PM
Sorry to hear that Skeeter. I hope you get onto some good land this year.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

spur collector

Sorry to hear that Skeeter, had the same thing happen to me about 5 years ago.

Snoody Bastid

I agree not to give up on that spot. Theres a nucklehead on a dirt bike who constantly rides his bike right near where I hunt. It didn't seem to have any effect. I still hear em gobbling. All situations are different though..

TheTwistedOne

Dealing with select cutting where I'm hunting right now. 

I feel your pain.  I'm gonna keep trying though.  No where else I can hunt right now.

Basser69

Man, I am sorry to hear about that. Just remember that the birds will be back stronger and better

bowhunter84

turkey slayer

surehuntsalot

went through the same thing about 5 years ago,
about cried when they cut down my favorite set up tree
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

RutnNStrutn

northwoodshntr

Bummer Skeeter. Hang in there, chances are they didn't go as far as you think. The loggers get going hot & heavy about the time I'm getting it figured out too. Right about the same time the weight restictions come off the roads due to the spring thaw.

mfd1027

Our lease in ga. is timber co. land and we deal with it every yr.  What a PITA!!!   Hopefully they will get it done quickly and not ruin your season.    As you already know the birds will be rt. back in there as soon as things quiet down for a few days.   
Dan