OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester Long Beard XR 3.5 inch shell...

Started by deerbasshunter3, May 22, 2014, 05:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Well, I went to the range to pattern my Remington 870 Super Mag 12g with a box of Winchester Long beard XR 3.5 inch shell. I got 2 shots off. The first shot kicked like a mule! The second shot almost knocked me off the bench!!!

Long story short, the second shot broke off and bent the ejector port cover and ejector port spring.
Must have been an overcharged shell.

Luckily, it only cost me about $10 dollars to replace the parts on Remington.com.

I'll definitely be going with a 3 inch shell from now on!!!

MACHINIST

I have the same gun and shoot the same shell.I have run about 10 shots of longbeards #5's 3.5's throuhg it and 5 hevishot blends.I could tell the difference in the recoil from the longbeards to the hevi's but wouldn't say they would be enough to break the gun.Contact Winchester and see if they will do something for you

deerbasshunter3

Eh, too much trouble to fight with Winchester and try to prove it. I don't see myself enjoying my shotgun anyways knowing how the 3.5 is going to kick.

Is the kick from the 3 inch shell significantly less than the 3.5 inch shells?

COssman14

I would say so. My 3" 870 has less recoil than my 3 1/2" Benelli shooting the longbeards.
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

d.winsor

I doubt the longbeard xr 3.5 inch shells broke your gun, I have a 870 SM and have shot 3.5 in it so many years I lost count of the years.  Get yourself a past shooting pad
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699899/past-super-mag-plus-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous        It will take the sting out of it.

cmerun

Longbear XR's are sweet I'm glad I made the switch over to them this year in 3.5" #6.  They may pound on the range but they are like a bb gun when ol' sad daddy is strutting out in front of you!!  Adrenaline is the best recoil reducer....let 'er rip!!
Elite E35 - Solid broadheads - Ghostmaker Calls - DSD Decoys

emptymag

Quote from: cmerun on May 23, 2014, 06:09:57 PM
Longbear XR's are sweet I'm glad I made the switch over to them this year in 3.5" #6.  They may pound on the range but they are like a bb gun when ol' sad daddy is strutting out in front of you!!  Adrenaline is the best recoil reducer....let 'er rip!!

:agreed:

doublebarrel

A buddy of mine had a problem with these shells too. He shot his out of a Thompson center and the gun didn't want to open after the shot. He refused to put another one through it.

MACHINIST

This is why Winchester needs to know about these shells.If nobody said anything they cant fix a problem if there is one.Make a complaint,if nothing happens nothing happens,But it make work out in the end

longbeards

I don't think it was the 3.5 Longbeard ammo,,,have run a tune though both 3 and 3.5 though a M1 and a 870..both tricked out for turkey...No problems what so ever,,,,just the best patterns I have seen for the money!! 
Killed 3 longbeards with them this year and they where impressive kills!!

firstflight111

I shot 3 boxes of long beard 3.5 in the 4s ,5s ,6s , out of my 887and my 870 .I felt it had less recoil then most turkey loads and the pattern was amazing  ,
plus I shoot around 600 waterfowl loads in 3.5 in  every year .never had an issue with gun braking .

Sent from my C811 4G

CUPPED AND COMMITTED

MACHINIST

I know the bird I leveled yesterday didn't have chit to say about em!!lLOL

Deputy 14

It shouldn't have broke the ejector. If it did make sure next time you shoot you tighten your barrel up a couple extra clicks with a pair of padded pliers. Loose barrel nut is the cause of 99% of broke ejectors on 870s.

Twowithone

Good point there Deputy14. Clark allaboutshooting mentioned this yrs ago because poi was different when taking barrel off of rig to clean and installing it. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.