turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Never seen this before...

Started by alloutdoors, May 22, 2014, 03:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alloutdoors

I was cleaning my turkey from this morning and noticed he had a couple odd feathers in his fan. The two central tail feathers have banding at the base that looks like a wing feather. Pretty sure I've never seen that before.

J. Adams

dont know how common I think I have around 50 fans here and present on prob half of them, sometimes it goes all the way up to the top or near the top of the fan tip, I don't think I have ever read where anyone could say exactly why some are like that, pretty cool though.

Gooserbat

I've killed several like that.  I know at least two of the six I got this year was that way.  I got a buddy who calls it "wild feathers"
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

alloutdoors

Interesting, wonder if it's more prevalent in certain populations. I don't think I've ever shot one like that before.

THattaway

I've killed a few like that here in SC and a few that extended with the white/black banding up into the tips, visible as they came in. Oddities like that and other variations on turkeys are fascinating to me. Always interested in seeing those things. Never seemed to have killed two that were exactly the same.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

alloutdoors

Yeah, the thing I see from time to time here is birds with a couple solid black primaries.

WNY Bowhunter

I've seen birds with the white coloration in the middle tail feathers in my area of NY. Your Schoharie birds may be different...
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

alloutdoors

Could be. This one is actually from Otsego county. I notice differences between those birds though and the ones I grew up hunting in Schoharie, and it's only a 40 minute drive between the two areas. For example, bearded hens are way more common where I hunt in Otsego.

WV TURKEY THUG

shot one in wv that had some white in the tail feathers about in the middle of it

snapper1982

mudhen

Pretty common for me, maybe 1 in 15 have a funny tail feather or two?...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

DirtNap647

va wingbone

I with John, probably half the birds ive killed have tail feathers like this.  Still kinda neat though

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

captin_hook

I've killed a couple like that in PA. I mentioned this before when the topic has been brought up...... A old timer told me once that that means its a old bird. I have no idea how true that is.

tomstopper

Wow. I didn't know that this was that common....