OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Versa Max

Started by donjuan, May 22, 2014, 12:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donjuan

Just curious how those of you who purchased a versa max or the sportsman option like it.  How is the recoil? Any malfunctions? How is it to clean? Just interested in a good autoloader made in 'Merica!
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Old Gobbler

Lightest recoiling auto I've ever shot - never jams , and its well known the demo versamax guns go tens of thousands of rounds without cleanings - not that I would recommend that
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Old Gobbler on May 22, 2014, 02:44:24 PM
Lightest recoiling auto I've ever shot - never jams , and its well known the demo versamax guns go tens of thousands of rounds without cleanings - not that I would recommend that

I was there when the Versa Max was introduced to the public at the Grand American Trap Shooting Championship (The Grand) on August 12, 2010

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=417

Remington chose to introduce it there rather than at SHOT because it was closer to the actual release date.

The gun that they gave me to shoot had been shot secretly by a group of shooters the day and night before and by other shooters that day before I arrived. As you may read, the pistons were covered with carbon from all of the shooting, the gun had not been cleaned since arriving at Sparta, Illinois and hundreds of rounds had been shot through it.

They wanted to have as many rounds through it as possible over that time and without any cleaning whatsoever. I have no idea how many rounds were eventually put through it but one of my best friends is a Remington gunsmith and there each year for the Grand. He had fired several hundred rounds through that gun himself and said that during that time it did not have one malfunction.

When you look at the mechanics of that gun, you will immediately notice that it has many features of the Benelli M4 ARGO system. Those Benelli patents had expired and Remington was able to incorporate those features in the Versa Max. As was said many times that day by Remington folks, it's Remington on the outside and a Benelli on the inside.

It is an excellent shotgun and in talking to dealers they have few complaints about them. There was a very early recall, as there sometimes is on new guns but that was easily taken care of and from that time forward it's been a winner for Remington.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ChiefBubba

I've had mine for about 2 years now and absolutely love mine. Would go so far to say best shotgun I've ever had. I have a Maxus I bought before this gun and I really like it also but couldn't quite get used to the fit of it. It wasn't so bad because I still have it and use it on occasion. Both are great guns. Chief

donjuan

Good to hear! Thanks for the answers
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

forcercon1

My Versa Max is about 2 years old and has performed well with no issues. Cleaning is simple, POA - POI is true and it seems to take a beating. I clean my weapons after each hunt. I am not one that is sensitive to recoil, but my 17 year old daughter that is 5'5" & weighs 110 lbs. has made it her weapon of choice over her SBE2 when shooting ducks / geese.

TrophyTracker

I love mine. I have shot gobblers, geese, and a ton of ducks with mine. The recoil of the 3.5in turkey loads feels like that of  3in duck loads instead. The only change I would recommend would be to replace the flimsy recoil pad with a Limbsaver one.

I have had Zero cycling issues, and that included hunting in -8deg last January
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

Racer1

Shot a SX3, Maxus, and VersaMax side by side and the VersaMax won out.  The SX3 was very fast cycling and the thin profile helped the gun swing really good.  The Maxus was light as a feather but had a unique fit and kicked like a mule.  The VersaMax has a thicker profile (good for my big hands), weighed the same as the SX3 and the recoil was significantly lighter than the other two.  I bought one before last turkey season and it knocked down a big gobbler for me.  Love the gun so far.