OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3.5 inch shell recoil. Ouch!!

Started by Fourcooks, May 22, 2014, 09:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fourcooks

Just shot a 3.5 inch shell from my Mossberg 535 and it packed quite a punch. I'm going to get a limbsaver but don't know if I should get the slip on model or the fitted model. Any suggestions? Thanks.

WV TURKEY THUG

i shot 3 of them in less than a minute one time out of my 835 couldnt hardly move my shoulder the next day but did manage to shoot a yote with another 3.5 inch shell. i say just suck it up find a shell and choke that works for it and dont shoot it unless ur shooting at a turkey. i almost developed a flinch because of them two days i caught myself a few times after that but im back to normal now. but if u got money to blow u cant go wrong with either one haha. remember to squeeze not pull

WildSpur

Imo get the precision fit pad.  Just screw in slowly because you don't want to strip the stock.

Take note though many attest on here that the 535 kicks the most.  Not sure if that's because it's not overbored or not.

I know for me thumb hole or pistol grip stocks help with recoil nicely.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Gooserbat

Quote from: WildSpur on May 22, 2014, 09:37:59 AM
Imo get the precision fit pad.  Just screw in slowly because you don't want to strip the stock.

Take note though many attest on here that the 535 kicks the most.  Not sure if that's because it's not overbored or not.

I know for me thumb hole or pistol grip stocks help with recoil nicely.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

X2!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

trackerbucky

I have a limbsaver on my BPS and it works great.

In addition, I always take out the plug and fill it up with shells when patterning it.  It increases the weight of the gun and reduces the recoil somewhat.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

hunter-b

The slip on model will change the length of pull.
Precision fit is better.  :z-twocents:

Tail Feathers

I bought a 20 gauge for the grandsons this spring, wow does it ever shoot so much easier than my 835!  I would up carrying it a couple of times myself.
I may have to buy me one this off season... :toothy12:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Marc

A gas-operated gun will reduce felt recoil.
Good gun fit will reduce felt recoil.
A good pad can help reduce felt recoil...

3.5" shells have recoil though...  When shooting game (whether it is ducks/geese or turkeys) we do not feel the recoil in the field per say...  But at some level we are aware of it, and flinching becomes an issue for many of us...

When doing my patterning for turkey loads, I do all my patterning for POI and POA with target loads.  Once the gun is shooting where I want with a good pattern, I might push one turkey load through just to make sure I am getting a good pattern with the load I will be shooting.  You really notice that recoil when you are shooting paper (as compared to game)...

My guns and loads are capable of 40 yard head shots on a turkey all day long, so the 3.5" shells and the price and recoil that go along with them, are not all that seductive to me...

Turkeys are also the one critter I will spend the money for Hevi-shot...  That stuff patterns tighter (at least for me) and carries more energy than lead, so a lighter payload is probably more lethal than a heavier payload in lead (in my opinion)...  My preferred load (which is becoming more difficult to come by) is a 3" 1 5/8 oz load of Hevi-13's in #6's....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Devastator

And alot of people really overlook the felt recoil on the cheek,which is why i use a beartooth comb raiseing kit.It helps alot!

DirtNap647

WV TURKEY THUG

Quote from: timb on May 22, 2014, 07:20:48 PM
And alot of people really overlook the felt recoil on the cheek,which is why i use a beartooth comb raiseing kit.It helps alot!
that is what always gets me i end up with a bruise after 1 shot with a 3.5 shell

milertyme03

You won't feel a thing when you blast a bbig ol gobbler with it!

captin_hook

535 + 3.5 inch = loose teeth.......... :funnyturkey:

steinea286

Gamblinman

Knoxx stock...tames them 3.5" loads.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."