OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1300 patterning results

Started by Lukas929, May 18, 2014, 09:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukas929

Well I decided to use the win super x to hunt based off the consistent overall pattern, took off work today for the very last day of wisconsins spring season and had this guy into 6 yards with no shot, ended up shooting him at 25 yards on the run an it wouldn't have been possible if all my shot was in a 10" circle. Run n gun state land tom :z-guntootsmiley:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Lukas929 on May 27, 2014, 07:59:37 AM
Well I decided to use the win super x to hunt based off the consistent overall pattern, took off work today for the very last day of wisconsins spring season and had this guy into 6 yards with no shot, ended up shooting him at 25 yards on the run an it wouldn't have been possible if all my shot was in a 10" circle. Run n gun state land tom :z-guntootsmiley:

Congratulations! There's just nothing like hanging in there. I'd also like to congratulate you on making the choice of shells/choke that works for you in your situation. That's really what it's all about.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Lukas929

I appreciate it, this isn't my final combination but without any time to keep patterning in between hunts I had to make do with what I had. I just picked up a few boxes of Winchester hv #6s last night I really want to try. Btw this was my 3rd tag and 2nd one filled in the past 3 weeks;)

birdbrain

Lukas,
        Congrats on the tom!

I have shot a 1300 for the past 12 years.  I spent some time 3 years ago messing with a jellyhead with Hevi 2/3/6  and Winchester HiVel  #6s.  The Hevi was much much better.  I can't recall the numbers but they were good > 150 in 10" at 40 yards.  Then, I tried a Pure Gold with the 2/3/7s and have been using 7s ever since with really good numbers. Been using that combo for 3 years and have killed gobblers at 20 and 40 yards.  Haven't tried the IC tube.  I was lucky to find the Pure Gold at Cabelas in the Bargain Cave for $25.

Lukas929

I have a question I realized this before but not as bad as now when I screwed in my jellyhead. My ssx tube doesn't screw in as easy as it should, an I thought maybe the threads were a little beat up or needed cleaning but when I screwed in my jellyhead it went in perfect without any added torquing of my wrist. Anyone ever experience this or think maybe whatever is causing that could be effecting my pattern?

allaboutshooting

Barrel counterbores and chokes are all manufactured to some +/- tolerance. There are times when a choke is on the + side and the counterbore is on the - side, or vice versa and chokes can be tight or chokes can be loose when installed.

I've had chokes that spin in to the gun and others that I've had to twist in all the way.

Having said that, you should not have force a choke into the threads or use undue pressure to seat it.

I would clean the threads on the SSX and maybe even put a drop of oil on them. You should also clean the bore threads. If after that you still feel that it's too tight, you can call TRUGLO at 888.8.TRUGLO and tell them what's going on. TRUGLO has excellent customer service and they will want you to be happy with your SSX.

Thanks,
Clark

Lukas929

Thank you for the quick reply, it's about every other full turn that I have to put extra muscle into it to get it to turn. I will tinker with it more tomorrow an call them if need be.

eddie234

Quote from: allaboutshooting on May 29, 2014, 11:22:30 PM
Barrel counterbores and chokes are all manufactured to some +/- tolerance. There are times when a choke is on the + side and the counterbore is on the - side, or vice versa and chokes can be tight or chokes can be loose when installed.

I've had chokes that spin in to the gun and others that I've had to twist in all the way.

Having said that, you should not have force a choke into the threads or use undue pressure to seat it.

I would clean the threads on the SSX and maybe even put a drop of oil on them. You should also clean the bore threads. If after that you still feel that it's too tight, you can call TRUGLO at 888.8.TRUGLO and tell them what's going on. TRUGLO has excellent customer service and they will want you to be happy with your SSX.

Thanks,
Clark
What causes some chokes to have different poi? I have a couple chokes that are centered and some that are off.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

allaboutshooting

Quote from: eddie234 on May 31, 2014, 09:10:08 AM
Quote from: allaboutshooting on May 29, 2014, 11:22:30 PM

Thanks,
Clark
What causes some chokes to have different poi? I have a couple chokes that are centered and some that are off.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

The designs of chokes can cause one to have a different POI than another. The length extending from the muzzle, ports that cause unequal pressure on a wad, wad catchers, etc. can all affect the POI as can  concentricity of the choke, the bore and the counterbore.

I have some guns that keep very similar POIs with just about any choke that I install, taking into account the differences in length extending from the muzzle that will affect elevation, and others that may have differences both in elevation and windage.

As you've no doubt noticed, when you switch shotshells, it's also common for the POI to change.

Thanks,
Clark