News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1300 patterning results

Started by Lukas929, May 18, 2014, 09:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

model94

Quote from: mikejd on May 18, 2014, 09:53:30 PM
Bead or sights. If sights IC will be your best bet. I am a bit of a 1300 collector and have run a dozen different chokes through them. I hunt bead only so I play with chokes and rounds all the time but IC should get you into the 200's somewhere with heavy 6's. 7's will get you high 2's.

I worked for me.

Don

model94

Quote from: Lukas929 on May 18, 2014, 10:45:23 PM
I have only tried this TruGlo SSX, I still have what I believe to be the factory turkey choke that came with it not sure exactly what it is it only says .665 on it. I plan to shoot a few from that choke next time out just to see what it can do, not sure if I can shoot hevi shot out of it I wish I knew for sure what choke tube it was because I'd preferably like to use hevi shot if I can get them to pattern good.

My Winchester factory turkey choke stated Lead only on the choke.

WildSpur

Hmm...something isn't right.  My 22" 1300 would get a 170 average with hevi 3/2/6 using a non ported undertaker 675.  I would also average in the 130 ' s with Winchester high velocity #6 in a .655 kick gt.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

lowoctane

Quote from: Lukas929 on May 18, 2014, 09:31:56 PM
I patterned my new to me 1300 22' barrel ssx choke this past weekend, I deep cleaned the barrel first and then bore snaked after almost every shot. Yardage was lasered at 41 yards with a cheap Simmons range finder. All my circles are 9'' because I didn't have a 10'' ring. I was expecting better results it was about 70 degrees.
Hey!  :blob10: Sell that old Winchester to ME!  :camohat:

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Lukas929

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will consider everything that was replied and when time/money allows I will make some changes. I indeed did draw my circle around what looked to be the most dense part of pattern, is that the wrong way of doing it? I have been turkey hunting only for 3 years an until this year always used my buddies turkey gun. For my first tag this year I was using my 870. Also Clarke you don't recommend cleaning after every shot? I thought i read to do that which is why I did. I am not new to guns or hunting but until I started getting serious about turkey hunting shotguns never appealed to me much I'd rather my bow or a rifle for hunting anything else.

allaboutshooting

QuoteAlso Clarke you don't recommend cleaning after every shot? I thought i read to do that which is why I did.

Some guns pattern better with a squeaky clean bore, some with a slightly fouled bore and others with a dirty bore. You never really know which your gun prefers until you try it each way.

Here's what I recommend: "Deep Clean" your bore before going to the range. Using paper, at least 3' x 3' shoot your gun, at 49 yards,  with whatever choke and shell you want to evaluate. Circle the best 10" pattern. Number and mark that sheet. Without cleaning of any kind, fire another shell, circle and number that sheet and then fire at least one more shell without cleaning the bore. To take into account the variance in shells, you need to fire at least 3 shells and more if your budget and time allows.

When you are ready to switch chokes or shells, do a routine cleaning to remove debris from the bore and the choke and start over.

We know of course that you'll see your best patterns from either #6 or #7 size shot. I recommend Hevi-13 shells because they have are more consistent than anything else I shoot for hunting or in competition.

Best of luck to you with your new gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Lukas929

Lowoctane, not a chance buddy. I will still make a shooter out of it! I had never shot one before i bought it, but I easily like everything about it over my 870 other then the safety placement.

eddie234

I dont want to hijack this post but i just ordered an IC for my 1300. I prob wont get to mess with it till sometime this summer.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Lukas929

Ouch 80 bucks off their website for Indian creek ? I have one more tag starting this week Wednesday I think I'll use my 870 again untill I get this figured out. Thanks for the replies an I welcome any other thoughts/comments.

eddie234

Plus shipping. It was $88 something

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

mikejd

just wait until someone on here has one in the classifieds.

eddie234

Quote from: model94 on May 18, 2014, 11:24:40 PM
I have a Winchester 1300 as well and it did not like the SSX Choke. I had blown patterns. I purchased an Indian Creek .660 choke tube and I got excellent results with the Hevy 13 #6 and the Hevy 13 Magblends. I had 215 pellets in a ten inch circle at 40 yards with the #6 and 187 hits with the mag blends. Since I was concerned that the pattern might be too tight at 20 yards, I shot the # 6 at 20 yards and the entire shot pattern was with in a 12" circle and it was even. Not one pellet outside the circle on big paper. Also, I tested a .660 Carlson Choke at 40 yards and I got 87 hits with the Hevy13 #6 and 118 hits with the mag blends with in a 10 inch circle. The Carlson Choke tube was excellent out to 30 yards, but the pattern really fell off after that. I am glad that I got a chance to really pattern my gun this year on big paper and not just turkey targets.

I was stunned at the difference between the two chokes. Try the .660 Indian Creek Choke. I do not think you will be sorry. 

Don
I got my IC choke for my 1300 and a new set of adjustable tru glo fiber optic sights, hoping  for numbers like yours.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

mikejd

Quote from: eddie234 on May 25, 2014, 07:08:52 PM

I have a Winchester 1300 as well and it did not like the SSX Choke. I had blown patterns. I purchased an Indian Creek .660 choke tube and I got excellent results with the Hevy 13 #6 and the Hevy 13 Magblends. I had 215 pellets in a ten inch circle at 40 yards with the #6 and 187 hits with the mag blends. Since I was concerned that the pattern might be too tight at 20 yards, I shot the # 6 at 20 yards and the entire shot pattern was with in a 12" circle and it was even. Not one pellet outside the circle on big paper. Also, I tested a .660 Carlson Choke at 40 yards and I got 87 hits with the Hevy13 #6 and 118 hits with the mag blends with in a 10 inch circle. The Carlson Choke tube was excellent out to 30 yards, but the pattern really fell off after that. I am glad that I got a chance to really pattern my gun this year on big paper and not just turkey targets.

I was stunned at the difference between the two chokes. Try the .660 Indian Creek Choke. I do not think you will be sorry. 

Don
I got my IC choke for my 1300 and a new set of adjustable tru glo fiber optic sights, hoping  for numbers like yours.

you will. All of my 1300's do. IC is definitely a great choke for that gun.

d.winsor

Load up the longbeard #5's and go hunting

model94

Quote from: eddie234 on May 25, 2014, 07:08:52 PM

Don

Let me know how it works for you! I use a Bushnell Red Dot/ Green Dot Scope. I am glad that I found the correct set up because I was sick of paying $5 bucks per pull to test other chokes. Indian Creek tech support suggested Hevy 13 3 inch #6. I have not tried the number 7's. Also, if you do have any issues, they will be glad to help.