OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke for silver hunter

Started by Prohunter3509, May 17, 2014, 05:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prohunter3509

Going to show and see dealer about benelli
We got there our deal fell throygh so thats that
Bought a new browningsilver hunter nwtf 24" b arrel
Now guys I need to no whatr kinda choke to sta rt with
And shells got a pretty good price I think I am betterr off and saveseveral hundred
Dollars pounts as good as benelli and pretty good trigger
Thanks guys

Dtrkyman

What ammo do you want to shoot?   I sold a tightwad to a friend for his super x3, patterns were impressive with mag blends 2 1/4 oz.

Prohunter3509

6 shot  hopefully somthing not to hard to come by
I do like copper plated

kwild835

.665 or .670 constriction choke with Winchester Longbeards in 6's.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Prohunter3509 on May 17, 2014, 05:46:00 PM
Going to show and see dealer about benelli
We got there our deal fell throygh so thats that
Bought a new browningsilver hunter nwtf 24" b arrel
Now guys I need to no whatr kinda choke to sta rt with
And shells got a pretty good price I think I am betterr off and saveseveral hundred
Dollars pounts as good as benelli and pretty good trigger
Thanks guys

Congratulations. You have a fine gun with lots of choke choices. I see you want to shoot #6 shot and that's always a good choice.  I shoot several Invector+ barrelled guns as do my readers (that's been one of our more popular chokes this year) and get excellent results from the Wright's, the SSX and the JEB's chokes. I've also had very positive feedback from readers on these chokes from hunts this spring.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Prohunter3509

clark I thank you for all your advice as well as other readers.
I am gonna look for win. Ext. 6's tomm.
Now this may be a dumb ? But I was always told the dumb ?'s
Were the ones not asked. What do you write a magazine , or what.
I may wanna see some of your articles,cause your advice to me seemed to be spot on.
I havnt been on here long and havnt learned any of the folks on here.
Thanks clark and all you readers for helping me.
Oh by the way fed. Prem. H.v. T. L. Flightcontrol wad
Cop. Plated 6's , 2 ozs. 114 hits 10" circle with full strut tube by browning @ 40 yds.
I want a lil more than that.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Prohunter3509 on May 18, 2014, 07:15:16 PM
clark I thank you for all your advice as well as other readers.
I am gonna look for win. Ext. 6's tomm.
Now this may be a dumb ? But I was always told the dumb ?'s
Were the ones not asked. What do you write a magazine , or what.
I may wanna see some of your articles,cause your advice to me seemed to be spot on.
I havnt been on here long and havnt learned any of the folks on here.
Thanks clark and all you readers for helping me.
Oh by the way fed. Prem. H.v. T. L. Flightcontrol wad
Cop. Plated 6's , 2 ozs. 114 hits 10" circle with full strut tube by browning @ 40 yds.
I want a lil more than that.

You're welcome. I write an occasional article for print magazines and am a consultant for other writers on the subject of shotguns, shotshells and patterning. I have a web site www.allaboutshooting.com and publish articles on that site. The "Product Test" articles are the most read.

This is a very good site with lots of helpful people who will give you the best advice they have. It's also a very civil place with emphasis placed on ethical hunting standards.

Lastly, it's always good to try what you have prior to spending money on something else. I'd encourage you to spend a little time and just a little money to "deep clean" the bore of your gun. Even brand new guns benefit from this process. It may well be that after you've performed this procedure, you may be able to get the patterns that you like. It will be of benefit to your gun regardless.

Thanks,
Clark

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I own that gun and have it set up exclusively for turkeys.

For maximum numbers in the 10" there is no finer nor consistent choke than a .670 rhino. 

The Indian Creek .675 is impressive in it, as well along with a .670 jellyhead. I've never seen a pattern from an SSX or a Wrights from a 12ga bore that was impressive to me. They aren't chokes that throw big numbers and tight cores. Jeb's is definitely building a high end choke.

I would warn you about trying to constrict that gun tighter than .665-.670 and advise you to polish that bore.

I'm not a fan of lead.  HTL loads aren't that expensive in comparison to the amount we invest in the sport but its performance is exceedingly superior to lead.  I've shot hevi13 6s, h13 7s, and nitro 4x5x7 h13 and 6x7 h13 through my bore.

I had a trigger job performed on the gun and it now has no creep, no travel and breaks at 40 ounces (2.5lbs). It is a fine weapon and can be improved to throw lethal patterns much farther than we can talk about here.

allaboutshooting

I just noticed that you have the Full Strut Turkey Choke http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/accessories/detail.asp?fid=003J&cid=113&tid=38773 That is a very good choke and the one that the Browning design engineer for that gun recommends.

Before you give up on that choke, I'd really recommend that you "deep clean" the bore and the choke and try some 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of ether #6 or #7 shot. That should really do the trick for you.

There's no need to spend more money on turkey chokes when you already have one of the best made and the one that Browning recommends for your gun.

Thanks,
Clark

Redfish

I have that same gun and I'm happy with the Jellyhead .670 and Magblends.
John 3:16

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: allaboutshooting on May 19, 2014, 06:51:36 PM
I just noticed that you have the Full Strut Turkey Choke http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/accessories/detail.asp?fid=003J&cid=113&tid=38773 That is a very good choke and the one that the Browning design engineer for that gun recommends.

Before you give up on that choke, I'd really recommend that you "deep clean" the bore and the choke and try some 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of ether #6 or #7 shot. That should really do the trick for you.

There's no need to spend more money on turkey chokes when you already have one of the best made and the one that Browning recommends for your gun.

Thanks,
Clark

Clark, how is it that you continually recommend certain chokes without mentioning the other well known, top candidates? There are choke tube makers here who promote competitors or will at least humbly mention them as top considerations but I continually see you push the same tubes that are coincidentally listed for sale on your website.

Have you ever seen a browning shoot the full strut or wrights better than reputable after market choke tubes like a rhino, sumtoy, indian creek, pure gold, or jebs?  Im highly disinclined to think so.... And i don't have access to still target records but Id be curious to know if anyone has anyone has ever even won with a full strut choke in their bore?

Prohunter3509

Thanks guys I am going to pick up supplies in the next wwwk or two
and,give it a deep clean and I will go from there.
Thanks for yalls help.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Prohunter3509 on May 19, 2014, 08:50:41 PM
Thanks guys I am going to pick up supplies in the next wwwk or two
and,give it a deep clean and I will go from there.
Thanks for yalls help.

I think you'll see some excellent results with what you have after you've deep cleaned it.

Best of luck to you with your new gun.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

QuoteClark, how is it that you continually recommend certain chokes without mentioning the other well known, top candidates?

In no way do I want to hijack this thread, nor divert the attention from the originator's question regarding his new gun but it just seemed right to answer the question posed.

Over the past several decades I've shot, I believe, all brands of commercially produced turkey chokes along with several custom maker's chokes. I've shot them with turkey loads that were available at the time beginning with lead loads through the various tungsten-based shells including the shells that are available today. I've been fortunate enough to have done work for the major shotshell makers and some of the smaller ones as well. It's been both educational and fun.

I try to share what I've found to work well with anyone who inquires. Since I have been in business so long, I also have a base of readers and folks who have contacted me over the years to let me know what works for them. I have a range about 150 yards from my office and use that range for my work to see what works for me with my guns. I shoot most if not all of the major brands of guns and normally with all of the barrel lengths that are offered by the manufacturer.

I do sell turkey chokes, along with other products on my site. I currently offer Trulock, JEB's, Pure Gold, Wright's, Hevi-Shot, Ambush, Swarm, and Truglo SSX turkey chokes.

I either have or have had all of the other major commercial brands of turkey chokes that I use for comparison and evaluation when trying a new load or gun. I also have a number of custom made chokes that I use for comparison as well.

You may have noted that I never bash or make negative statements about anything and that includes the performance of any turkey choke. If it does not work better than another turkey choke for my readers or  for me, I just don't say anything about it at all.

There are many good chokes out there and many people have good results with a variety of them. That's a good thing. I know many of the makers of those chokes and they are good men. 

There are many good brands of guns, with different barrel lengths, and different brands of shotshells with different sizes of shot. Finding what works for us individually is really what it's all about and I try to be of help to anyone, in any way possible, at no charge and with no obligation or any kind.

I've been doing that for a very long time, just as I have been engaged in the sport of still target shooting for a long time and hunting turkeys for a long time. It's a product of age and a passion for the sports.

I recently wrote an article, "The Evolution Revolution" about the evolution of turkey shotshells over the years and in doing the research for that article it brought back a lot of memories for me. For the most part, I've been a witness to that process.

We'll undoubtedly see new and more innovative shotshells and chokes in the years to come and that too is a very good thing.

Thanks,
Clark

Prohunter3509

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 19, 2014, 06:14:30 PM
I own that gun and have it set up exclusively for turkeys.

For maximum numbers in the 10" there is no finer nor consistent choke than a .670 rhino. 

The Indian Creek .675 is impressive in it, as well along with a .670 jellyhead. I've never seen a pattern from an SSX or a Wrights from a 12ga bore that was impressive to me. They aren't chokes that throw big numbers and tight cores. Jeb's is definitely building a high end choke.

I would warn you about trying to constrict that gun tighter than .665-.670 and advise you to polish that bore.

Hey b g  I havnt cleaned mine like yall said yet but if I dont get what
I wont  I am gonna try either rhino or indian creek did you try win. Lr
at anytime or did you go with h.s. I am not shooting still I am hunting so you no what
I  am asking I got 114 with full strut choke using your choke what are you   getting
I no mine may not shoot just likke yours . Just sorta want to no about what to expect.

I'm not a fan of lead.  HTL loads aren't that expensive in comparison to the amount we invest in the sport but its performance is exceedingly superior to lead.  I've shot hevi13 6s, h13 7s, and nitro 4x5x7 h13 and 6x7 h13 through my bore.

I had a trigger job performed on the gun and it now has no creep, no travel and breaks at 40 ounces (2.5lbs). It is a fine weapon and can be improved to throw lethal patterns much farther than we can talk about here.