turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Epic fail or Sucess

Started by MazeNBlu3, May 17, 2014, 09:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MazeNBlu3

I was out the is morning with my quarter strut jake and 2 hen decoy set-up. Shortly after sunrise I see 2 toms making there way towards me. After about 30 mins of them walking and gobbling they call in another hen. She meets up with the 2 toms sees my jake decoy runs over to it clucking and purring the whole way. When she gets close she circles the jake and lays down in front of it. The two toms see this and rather than fight the upstart they turn around and walk away. I've never seen 2 full size birds bow to a small jake decoy before.

DirtNap647

I never have luck with decoys

dfresh55

wow yeah thats wild... what jake decoy was it?

MazeNBlu3

RutnNStrutn

Definitely haven't ever seen or heard of that one before. Odd. ???

MazeNBlu3

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what happened. Maybe they were too tired to fight?

RutnNStrutn

Makes no sense. I can totally see a solo gobbler backing down, but two gobblers backing down to a jake? That isn't normal.

MACHINIST

tomstopper

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 17, 2014, 01:47:14 PM
Definitely haven't ever seen or heard of that one before. Odd. ???
:agreed:

WV TURKEY THUG

must of been a better looking hen in the area  :funnyturkey:

MazeNBlu3

Tried a single hen set-up this afternoon, come 4 pm here come the same 2 toms. A little cluck and purr and they look in the direction of the hen and keep right on walking. I'm at a loss on what 2 do.

Marc

Quote from: MazeNBlu3 on May 17, 2014, 07:03:28 PM
Tried a single hen set-up this afternoon, come 4 pm here come the same 2 toms. A little cluck and purr and they look in the direction of the hen and keep right on walking. I'm at a loss on what 2 do.

Ditch the decoys...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Snoodsniper

Quote from: Marc on May 17, 2014, 07:08:23 PM
Quote from: MazeNBlu3 on May 17, 2014, 07:03:28 PM

Ditch the decoys...

We've killed three long beards in front of  my buddies strutter and hen setup this week. They work just not all the time....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

MazeNBlu3

Thanks for the insight fellas we'll see if I can put one down tomorrow morning.