turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bird #1 down in Mississippi

Started by longbeards21, March 17, 2011, 02:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbeards21

Well... This morning, I got to my spot at about 645 and there were already hoot owls talking to each other. I did not hear a thing so I started my way towards the other end of the property and at 705 he cut lose for the first time. He was about 250 yards from me. I closed the distance down to about 150 yards and set up. I was hunting the edge of a small slough where  there is a road and then some young pines. I began some very soft yelps on my MORGAN SLATE and he gobbled every time I touched the call. This bird gobbled at EVERYTHING. Well...805 and about 100 gobbles later, the bird was still in the tree. I figured I better do something different to I low crawled to my deke, picked her up and low crawled about 100 yards further away from the bird where two roads join that lead to the big woods. Set my decoy back up and then found me a real good tree. I decided to change up so I went to my HOOKS EXECUTIONER! I yelped one series and he pitched out of the tree and landed where I was sitting the first time and then went into strut and was making his way down the road towards my decoy. I watched him in full strut, spitting an drumming, from 80 yards. He got within 5 feet of my decoy and just stopped in strut and stared at the decoy. I figured he had made my heart beat fast enough so I pulled the trigger on my NWTF Browning BPS invector plus and sent the 3.5" Winchester Xtended Range his way. I guess cause he was so close ( 20 yards) my pattern was a little low and it got into the feathers some but he didnt even flop. My  biggest bird to date.
11" beard

both spurs 1"

19lbs

Special thanks to Morgan and Hooks Game Calls

This is before I even got up from the setup

sugarray

:anim_65: :anim_65:

Congratulations!! Great story and great bird.  Nice sharp hooks.

bowhunter84

LX_Trkyhntr

Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Basser69

turkey slayer

kansas hooks

njdevilsb

ILIKEHEVI-13

dodger

Glad you like the call brother and sportin that hat too.... and thats a great bird,

I sent u a message on the other board

Rio Fan

Congratulations on an awesome bird!

magicman

JVA54

trkycaller