turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#4 or#5?

Started by deerbasshunter3, May 14, 2014, 10:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I had already purchased a box of Long Beard XR in 3.5 inch shell, #5 shot. Tonight I bought another box and realized when I got home that I bought a #4 shot. So now I have a box of #4 and a box of #5.

My question(s) : Will they pattern close enough that I can use both or do I pretty much have to pick one or the other?
Also, if I can only use one, what is the best thing to do with the other box since I can't exchange it at the store?

COssman14

Just have to shoot them and see what they do. If they both pattern good you can use them both! I have always just kept the shells that didn't pattern well that way I can try them in new chokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

tomstopper

Quote from: COssman14 on May 14, 2014, 11:47:23 PM
Just have to shoot them and see what they do. If they both pattern good you can use them both! I have always just kept the shells that didn't pattern well that way I can try them in new chokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^This. If you don't want to keep the ones that don't shoot the best, you could place them on the turkey ammo classifieds (check your state regs for shipping ammo first).

DirtNap647

I like 5's but also keep in mind I duno if its just my gun but the longbeard shells 4 shot  to 5 shot in my gun change poi I dunno why but 4's shoot a lil left for me compared to the 5's. you may want to see but I just may have a diff. gun

deerbasshunter3

I have a Remington 870 12g. Super Mag 28 inch barrel.

I'm hoping that since they are the same shell just in a different size that maybe they will pattern close enough so that it won't matter.

I guess I could use the #4 if I will be hunting in the swamp where I might encounter leaves or brush vs. using the #5 if I am hunting on an open field or road?

jblackburn

Can't know unless you shoot paper.

My 835 is deadly with 6's, but I'm not sure I could hit a turkey at 30 yards with 4s of the same brand (Winchesters, but not long beards).
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

RutnNStrutn

I don't shoot the longbeards, but the brand I do shoot I tried the #4's & the #5's. I figured the 5's had nearly as much power, but more pellets. But the 4's threw a much, much better pattern, so I went with the 4's. Shoot both and see what patterns best out of your gun. You won't know until you try.