Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#2 WV TAGGED OUT....Another Awesome Hunt!

Started by VA_Birdhunter, May 13, 2014, 06:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA_Birdhunter

Was able to take off a few hours again this morning before work.  Got up a little later then what I wanted but made it to my place at 5:50 AM and light had already broke 15-20 min before.  I get everything ready then walk over to the edge of the road I was on to listen.  Waited 5 min and didn't hear anything....so I pulled out my old faithful the Hoot N Stick and hit it and immediately get a response from across the holler.  Hit it again get another response from a different gobbler on the other side.  I did a laugh and one gobbles just down from me on the side I was on.  I start that way and couldn't get him to gobble again but the others across the holler was gobbling every time to the hoot N stick.   I thought this long beard was farther down from the top of the ridge but he wasn't and I got about half way out to where I wanted to go and I push him off the roost.   So I head back to my truck and hit the owl call again and they sound off across the holler.  I hope in the truck and drive to the other side.  Walk down the road and hit the owl call and nothing.  So I start out the ridge which ahs a huge filed on top and stick to the tree line.  I start running a few calls on the mouth call and two answer in the holler below me.  I start closing the distance slowly and run another series on the mouth call and SS slate call and one is on the way and closing the distance fast.  I get down in the woods between two logging roads....I hit the mouth call and SS Slate....the other bird that is now on the other side of the holler answers but not a thing from the other bird.  I cut followed by a few yelps and he cuts me off...he's about 70 yards below me in the holler I just can't see him because of a cliff face.  I run and get my decoy out sit down throw my gloves on and place the gun on my knee and there he stands right below the logging road in full strut.  I send a few soft yelps his way and he continues on up the hill in strut.  He gets to about 35 yrs I cut and he comes out of strut and the Long Beard XR's put him down for the count....two birds in two days of hunting.   It was another unbelievable hunt....I've said it several times this year and I'll say it again....the Lord has so richly blessed me this year!  Every morning in the woods has been awesome with the sounds of spring and the thundering boom of gobbling on the mountain I couldn't ask for more that's for sure!  I thank my Lord and Savior for another awesome spring!!  This is the first year I've tagged out in two states WV & VA (mostly because I've actually got to hunt by myself more this year).  Out of the 5 I took this year 4 were 2 yr olds and 1 was a 3 yr old....thank God for 2 yr olds!!!  Hope and pray we have another good hatch!

Stats: 15.78 lbs., 9 5/8" beard, and Ivory 7/8" spurs. 

God Bless

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

hookedspur

Congrats !!! I love hunting my home state.
Man I miss WV sometimes.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

West Augusta

It's been a tough year here in Marion County.  I'm not done yet.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

eddie234

Congrats. Here in Marshall co its not been too bad. Got a jake the first week and had a good one come in this past Sunday but just couldnt get him to get close enough.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

tomstopper

beagler

Never Misses

boomer

captin_hook