OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Beautiful morning in NY!!!

Started by WNY Bowhunter, May 12, 2014, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNY Bowhunter

Had three birds gobbling around us this morning. At 6:00 this big ole dude can spitting and drumming into range and my wife hammered him with the 870 20 gauge. Good shooting baby!!! Makes 4 birds down so far with 19 days of season to go...

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

troutfisher13111

TauntoHawk

Congrats to you both! It's pretty awesome to get to share the turkey woods with your wife isn't it?

I think the late spring made these Northern states that usually seem late extra good this year
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WNY Bowhunter

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 12, 2014, 02:11:23 PM
Congrats to you both! It's pretty awesome to get to share the turkey woods with your wife isn't it?

I think the late spring made these Northern states that usually seem late extra good this year

We'll see...seems like everything is a bit behind.  It's been a strange year as far as turkey sightings go.  There have been very few birds out in the fields where they typically are every year?

DirtNap647

tomstopper

Awesome. Congrats to you both....

2much2loud

Nice job ..... I have heard quite a few birds while hunting , but not seeing much in the fields  when drive to work

Spring_Woods

Congrats, wow that's a dream season! Wtg!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

TauntoHawk

Quote from: WNY Bowhunter on May 12, 2014, 06:14:33 PM

We'll see...seems like everything is a bit behind.  It's been a strange year as far as turkey sightings go.  There have been very few birds out in the fields where they typically are every year?

You are right, birds just aren't in the fields this year. I think it has to do with not being warm enough to have many bugs and little seedlings so they just hang in the open timber for strutting.

I'll start hunting PA tomorrow so I'll have to figure what our birds down here are doing but it was fun chasing the birds in the timber this year in NY.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

beagler

Never Misses

WNY Bowhunter

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 12, 2014, 08:44:42 PM

You are right, birds just aren't in the fields this year. I think it has to do with not being warm enough to have many bugs and little seedlings so they just hang in the open timber for strutting.

I'll start hunting PA tomorrow so I'll have to figure what our birds down here are doing but it was fun chasing the birds in the timber this year in NY.

How'd you make out?

cphill

Congrats to her my wife out done me this year

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

TauntoHawk

Quote from: WNY Bowhunter on May 12, 2014, 09:09:38 PM

How'd you make out?

We had a great year, me and my wife both tagged out in NY and I was able to call birds in for a Vet hunter and a youth hunter. After calling 6 birds in 6 days hunting I am feeling pretty confident but PA public land will certainly soften those numbers with some humbling mornings im sure soon. Missed my 4am alarm this morning  :character0029:

mikejd

WNY congrats to you and your wife on a great season.

Surprised to see such good reports. For me this was the deadest season I have heard in over 20 seasons.
I probably put close to 50 miles on my legs in 8 strait days of hunting. i probably heard 5 gobbles in 8 days and Im sure a few were the same bird. I did manage 1 nice 21 lbder 3 yr old possibly 4 so far so Im happy. Not that I need to fill a tag to have a good season but still a crazy season. And Im hunting with a few of us and we all had the same thing. As a matter of fact I tagged the only bird.