Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What do you do with all of your turkey tails?

Started by trackerbucky, May 12, 2014, 10:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackerbucky

I've seen many different methods for displaying beards and spurs, but what do you all do with your turkey tails? Seems like some of the guys here take 5 or 6 or more birds a year.  After a while I would think that you would run out of wall space to display them.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

strutnrut

I just discard of them unless someone ask for one. Wife did a christmas tree with tail feathers once dang cat almost run us crazy.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

wisconsinteacher

I am putting one in my office this year.  (I share it with two women!!!!)

darn2ten

I was just talking to my wife about this the other day. Every time I kill one I still cut the fan off, kind of wrap it in plastic bag and throw it in the freezer. I've probably got at least 30 in 3 different freezers. I use to do quite a few fan displays. Gave some away and have keep certain ones, I mean there's only so many you can do, right?  Guess I'm going to start throwing them away because I don't have any more room for them and don't really know what I'm going to do with them anyway.

stinkpickle

I already have a bunch on the wall and a big stack still sandwiched between cardboard and borax sitting the garage.  I started pitching them this year.

turkey_slayer

I toss em unless they are unique or off a big bird but not big enough to mount

THattaway

If I don't use them in a mount or multi-fan mount I just clip the good feathers off at the base and store them in plastic bags, usually after freezing them for several months. Plenty of fly tyers out there that love to get free quality turkey tail feathers. At $3 to $4 for a couple feathers it's a nice gift for them to get a nice package of them for free. Turkey tail is good for wings on caddis flies and grasshoppers. Makes great stonefly nymphs. I also save the feathers from the base of the tail as they make excellent pheasant tail style nymphs. Primary wing feather biots make great knotted legs for nymphs and hoppers, wings for small caddis flies and midges. Secondary wing feather also makes good nymph bodies, wing cases and wings on caddis flies etc. Natural marabou makes great wooly buggers. Have used mottled feathers off the leg area for wet fly hackle. The covert feathers make great iridescent wing cases on nymphs too.

The point is, IMO it's a shame to throw away such a beautiful work of art. Someone somewhere can surely use the material and would be glad to get it. I've sent free packages of turkey feathers to fly tyers from Florida to Niagra Falls NY.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Huntaholic

I generally trash em. I do however, save some of the different subspecies and give them to a buddy of mine that does feather art.

TauntoHawk

I have my fans off the first three longbeards I killed on display in my dads man cave that we killed when I was younger, I have the first three my wife killed and will mount them on a Triple fan mount right now they are in the basement. After 3 I throw them unless I ever kill another sub spieces than I will keep one of those.

Beard and spurs are always kept
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

troutfisher13111

Unless I plan on doing another fan mount I just throw them away. I keep every beard and spurs over one inch.

Spring Creek Calls

Your local or favorite taxidermist may be able to use most or all the parts that you don't use.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

2eagles

Along the same lines.  I have been giving my wings to an area police chief.   He is a primitive bow hunter and makes his own fletching.  Always nice to have a cop who likes you.

tomstopper