Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What do you do with all of your turkey tails?

Started by trackerbucky, May 12, 2014, 10:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

I keep some, toss some.  I like to keep one from each state I hunt and make a plaque in the shape of the state.  Added WA and ID this year.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

DirtNap647

WildTigerTrout

I have several that I kept and mounted on panels with the beards. I now give them away to fellas like myself that tie flies for flyfishing. One tail has enough feathers to last a lifetime. At this point I keep the beards and the spurs, that's it.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

SinGin

After I dry them I screw them up side down across my man cave windows and use them as a shade.

ccleroy

I can't see throwing away fans, unless it got pretty messed up upon the shot I save them, way to pretty to let go to waste.

RutnNStrutn

I never let a tail go to waste. Most of them are on display at my house or my camper at the hunt camp. The rest are used as fans for my decoys.

alclark2

If i had the problem of getting enough birds to throw away fans I'd be in good shape lol. Mine are still going on the wall, then my decoys, friends decoys, fly fisherman, I had a woman at work ask for one for Indian art, etc...it seems like a waste to throw it away IMO.

If DSD could get you all to send your trash fans to them, their decoys would be that much better!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

ncturkey

Another good use of the tail feathers is to give them to Indian Tribes. Plus like others have said the fly tyers could use them. The crafters love turkey tailfeathers too.

ncturkey

I have saved all of mine. I have two full body mounts, four rug mounts, ten fan and saddle mounts and one fan mount. I have another fan and saddle mount drying in the building.

gobbler777

Toss em unless someone wants one. Same with spurs unless they are 1 1/2" or longer.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

VanHelden Game Calls

I bag and freeze until I or someone else finds a use.  I have 3 on plaques and thats enough for me!  I have sent a few full fans out to artists to paint on and may give that a try someday.

I have lots of practice canvas:)

Agree to dang pretty to toss:)

wisconsinteacher

I forgot about the wings.  I use them for fletching my recurve and longbow arrows.  You can die them with Kool-Aid to give them color.  I did some with cherry this winter and they look great as hen feathers next to natural cock feathers.

swamp_bird89

I save them, too pretty to throw away. I've got a pile in a few different freezers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fullfan

Just counted I have 37 above the garage and another 19 in the shed. For some reason at one time I kept them all. Was thinking maybe I will never get another one. LOL mice have found most of them tho.
Don't gobble at me...

Tail Feathers

I recently learned that beekeepers prize tail feathers for their craft.  Seems they are outstanding for brushing the bees around and away from the hives.  I'll have to ask some I know if they need any.  I have one on Borax right now...not sure what to do with it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!