turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#3 Va bird…Tagged Out 5-8-14

Started by Vaturkeyhntr, May 11, 2014, 03:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaturkeyhntr

I would love to say I called this bird away from 10 hens, across a 500 yards field, and through a couple fences.......but that wasn't the case.....I have known where some birds where coming to strut on a dirt road at a farm we have permission to hunt, so I decided to just go and see if by chance he might show up. As I got to the spot I set out the jake and hen DSD's in the road way and settled into some brush at a bend in the road, as it got light a bird started gobbling about 400 yards away up in the patch of woods I had hunted them in earlier in the season. I decided to stay put and not go after him, so after he quit gobbling and the morning became silent, the head nods started to settle in(working midnight shift and not missing a day so far this season was catching up to me). Well around 9:00 I caught myself in a little nap and happened to open my eyes to see him in full strut at about 35 yards coming to the decoys. I had to sort of think for a minute, was this real? Well after I composed myself I quickly realized it was the real thing. The bird never left strut and kept spinning in circles, as he made a turn and his fan covered his view I was able to get my gun up and the red dot on. I got to watch the show for a few minutes and finally ended my season when he gave me a side profile of his head and neck.

17 3/4 lbs, 9 3/4 beard, 3/4 spurs

[/URL]/url]
[/URL]/url]

tomstopper

captin_hook

alloutdoors

COssman14

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

DirtNap647

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

ncturkey

Gooserbat

Well Done, and btw that's the best back of the truck pic I've ever seen, seriously.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

boomer

beagler

Never Misses

El Pavo Grande

Congrats on a great hunt and season!!!  Those hunts are special when you scout, devise a game plan and it works out like that.