News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Barrel length

Started by Snake reaper, May 11, 2014, 11:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRules

Quote from: zelmo1 on May 24, 2014, 08:41:23 AM
Barrel length has nothing to do with the pattern. The choke dictates the pattern. Longer barrels give a better sight plane, thus making it better for the shooter. I have tried lots of chokes and loads, you should do the same. I will never need another turkey choke or new load. My Browning Gold 3.5 shoots awesome with my Patternmaster Code Black Turkey Choke with Winchester Longbeard XR #5's. This season, 52 yds, 43 holes, could have been more pellets, from the base of the skull down to the soft spot at the base of the neck. Instant kill, never saw one go down and not twitch at that range. I like live fire results and saw this one looking down the barrel. I will never change anything on my gun again. Good luck everyone.

This is opinion not fact for those that may not know   

zelmo1

The longer the shot column stays together, the better the pattern. This is affected by the wad and or the buffering agent used. I have shot a Marlin pump that had a 40" barrel and if you shot crap ammo, that was the pattern you got. My point was that finding the correct combo of gun, choke and load is the key to getting good patterns, not barrel length.

d.winsor

Never had a problem getting a turkey gun to pattern once I found winchester HV #5 shells, I use 24 and 26 inch barrels and Briley chokes on all my turkey guns.  I'd say longbeards will do a lot for some one having problems getting a killing pattern at 40 yards.

owlhoot

Out of a 24" or 26" i would not worry about it. Buy the one you like.
      Load and barrel conditions and  choke will give you the patterns. :z-twocents:

art338wm

I shoot a 870 Supermag with a 26" tube, and a Remington factory turkey choke. Patterns excellently, and is lethal way past distances I'm willing to shoot at turkeys. My back up turkey gun has a 22" Remington deer barrel with iron sights and remchoke. Never noticed a problem with the 26" barrel. Love Winchester Supreme Turkey shells as well as the X/Rs, except I shot my last X/Rs this year taking my Tom. At over $3 per shell I doubt I will buy them again.