turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Barrel length

Started by Snake reaper, May 11, 2014, 11:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake reaper

What length would be better for your patterns. What is everyone opinion 24 or 26 or does it matter.

noggin buster

I asked the same question not long ago.  Most say the longer the better for patterns.  I prefer a short handy gun for turkey. I like 24"

alclark2

I can get very tight patterns from a 20". Pattern whatever barrel you get until you get what you're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Snake reaper on May 11, 2014, 11:31:31 AM
What length would be better for your patterns. What is everyone opinion 24 or 26 or does it matter.

For most guns and in most circumstances, I have found that 26" barrel is just about perfect for patterning. Many times I choose to shoot longer ones only because they are more comfortable and tend to lessen muzzle jump and cheek slap.

Since we hunt turkeys in various weather conditions and most turkey shotshells are affected by lower temperatures (lower velocity and efficiency) and denser air at lower temperatures (spreads patterns more rapidly) a couple of extra inches to help overcome those factors never hurts.

Either length, properly choked will certainly work to kill turkeys, as long as you know the capabilities of your particular gun in different conditions.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Snake reaper

The reason I was asking is everyone says they prefer a 26 on the sbe2 .

deadbuck

I had a 24" SBE2. After patterning it I wished I had a 26",however, the only choke I tried was a jellyhead. Other than poor pellet counts, the main problem was that it shot a foot low and a foot left. Back then I was against using optics, but now I like optics and could have made the gun work by putting optics on it. If I ever buy another one I will have to be able to shoot it first to see how bad the poi is off as they do have a reputation for being off. They hold their resale very well. I used mine almost 2 years and got back what I paid for it minus $50

mikejd

To.me barrel length is a bit of moot point for a hunting situation because with the shells and choke option that we have now there is no reason that anyone can not get a great pattern out of any barrel they choose. I have guns with barrels ranging from 18" to 28""and I can get over 200 hits in a 10" circle with any one of them. Yes the 28" maybe closer to 300 but im talking hunting turkeys and for me that's a 40yds or under game.
I usually carry a gun with a 22" barrel and this season a few times I carried a new 835 that I bought
With a 24" barrel and the extra few inches was so noticably annoying that i would rather not even carry that gun.
Its hung up in the cover all day long.

lowoctane

Short is good for me too. Turkey hunting is all about getting hid and disappearing, plus calling of course. Short barrelled guns make things easier for me.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Gooserbat

Either will work just fine.  I've used a 26" for like always, and I don't think a shorter barrel would have ever made any difference.  It's what ever you get used to.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

DirtNap647

I use a 26" but id like to try a shorter barrel to compare

mikejd

Quote from: Dirt nap on May 22, 2014, 07:33:27 PM
I use a 26" but id like to try a shorter barrel to compare

If I give you my 18 for a day it will be bye bye 26".

zelmo1

Barrel length has nothing to do with the pattern. The choke dictates the pattern. Longer barrels give a better sight plane, thus making it better for the shooter. I have tried lots of chokes and loads, you should do the same. I will never need another turkey choke or new load. My Browning Gold 3.5 shoots awesome with my Patternmaster Code Black Turkey Choke with Winchester Longbeard XR #5's. This season, 52 yds, 43 holes, could have been more pellets, from the base of the skull down to the soft spot at the base of the neck. Instant kill, never saw one go down and not twitch at that range. I like live fire results and saw this one looking down the barrel. I will never change anything on my gun again. Good luck everyone.

deadbuck

My 10 ga H&R has a 32 inch barrel and is the exact same overall length as my sons SX2 with a 26" barrel. My citori 28" barrel is shorter than both the H&R and the SX2. It is all about overall length.

RAY

I like 26" in barrel on my SBE for waterfowl. Just like swinging it faster in the duck blind. I really like my 24" barrel on my 835 for turkeys. No reason other than those are my guns and it works for me. My patterns are very good with the set up I have.

mikejd

Quote from: zelmo1 on May 24, 2014, 08:41:23 AM
Barrel length has nothing to do with the pattern. The choke dictates the pattern. Longer barrels give a better sight plane, thus making it better for the shooter. I have tried lots of chokes and loads, you should do the same. I will never need another turkey choke or new load. My Browning Gold 3.5 shoots awesome with my Patternmaster Code Black Turkey Choke with Winchester Longbeard XR #5's. This season, 52 yds, 43 holes, could have been more pellets, from the base of the skull down to the soft spot at the base of the neck. Instant kill, never saw one go down and not twitch at that range. I like live fire results and saw this one looking down the barrel. I will never change anything on my gun again. Good luck everyone.

Barrel length absolutely has an affect on patterns, However there is no reason to believe that one can not get a great pattern out of a short barrel.