News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Heavier third shell?

Started by BlakeJ, May 11, 2014, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkpickle

Quote from: BlakeJ on May 11, 2014, 08:26:55 AM
I thought about something the other day, and will probably start doing it.

I shoot mag blends, and for the third shell in my gun I'm going to have Hevi 4's. I've only had to use the third shell a couple times, and it was out there. I want the most distance I can get on that shot.

Does anyone do this?

Nah...I just use the same shells.  Besides, I'm not sure Hevi #4's would be any improvement over Magblends.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: TRKYHTR on May 15, 2014, 12:51:06 AM
Alot of the time I only have 2 shells in my gun. I've never shot at a turkey 3 times in my history of turkey hunting.

I thought I might be the only one.. I only put two in, the only time I've ever needed the second was my first bird before I knew about after market chokes, patterning, and trying different shells.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jblackburn

Quote from: surehuntsalot on May 14, 2014, 09:48:38 PM
I always carry 5 shells in my 12ga and 20ga

I don't think I've ever hunted in a state that let you have an unplugged shotgun for turkey.  I've only been checked in Missouri and Kansas.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Jasonb53

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 12, 2014, 09:37:42 AM
Not to be a know it all, but learn your gun, and it's capabilities and stay with in them and you won't need a 2nd or 3rd shell.

So are you using a single shot to or just carrying one shell in your gun?

I carry 3 in mine and all the same shell

surehuntsalot

Quote from: jblackburn on May 15, 2014, 01:42:32 PM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on May 14, 2014, 09:48:38 PM
I always carry 5 shells in my 12ga and 20ga

I don't think I've ever hunted in a state that let you have an unplugged shotgun for turkey.  I've only been checked in Missouri and Kansas.

No plug in Mississippi
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I only load up 2 shells. We aren't shooting waterfowl. I see no merit to 3.

CT Spur Collector

I always have two shells in my Benelli.  Never had to use the second one. I never load my gun until I get set down at the base of a tree....ready for action.  The gun is much lighter to carry unloaded. Never shoot at a running, walking or flying bird, (just my opinion) no need to walk with it loaded.  Harder to hit than standing looking for me!!!

stinkpickle

Quote from: CT Spur Collector on May 16, 2014, 11:06:59 AM
...I never load my gun until I get set down at the base of a tree....ready for action...

Don't you have to let those Benelli's slam shut or you get the "click"? 

CT Spur Collector

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 16, 2014, 11:13:20 AM
...I never load my gun until I get set down at the base of a tree....ready for action...

Nope, in my M2, I slide the first shell in the tube, push the button with my left index, (I'm right handed) hold the bolt with my right index and thumb. Slide it shut very quietly, insert the second shell and ready for business!!  Been doing it for years.

stinkpickle

Quote from: CT Spur Collector on May 16, 2014, 11:42:30 AM

Nope, in my M2, I slide the first shell in the tube, push the button with my left index, (I'm right handed) hold the bolt with my right index and thumb. Slide it shut very quietly, insert the second shell and ready for business!!  Been doing it for years.

Ahhh...that problem must be limited to the SBE's.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I always have two shells in my Benelli.  Never had to use the second one. I never load my gun until I get set down at the base of a tree....ready for action.  The gun is much lighter to carry unloaded. Never shoot at a running, walking or flying bird, (just my opinion) no need to walk with it loaded.  Harder to hit than standing looking for me!!!

Never understood the "no load until setting up" mentality.

CT Spur Collector

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 16, 2014, 12:02:56 PM

Let me know the next time you sneak up on one. You won't here in PA.

870FaceLift

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 16, 2014, 11:58:14 AM
Quote from: CT Spur Collector on May 16, 2014, 11:42:30 AM

Ahhh...that problem must be limited to the SBE's.

Don't know about the M2, but I learned this the hard way with my SBE2.  I used to try to quietly load up.  Cost me a turkey one morning...  Mine must be slammed or it will "click."

As for the original post.  I always take 3 shells.  All Mag-blends. I'm not too proud to say that I've used the second shell a few times.  Luckily, I haven't need the third.
Pass it on...

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: CT Spur Collector on May 16, 2014, 12:16:06 PM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 16, 2014, 12:02:56 PM

Let me know the next time you sneak up on one. You won't here in PA.

I've never shot a gobbler that I suddenly walked up on.  Honestly, I think a turkey deserves to be killed in a more dignified manner than just a momentary, incidental, opportunistic harvest.

But, I have struck birds cutting and running, I do tend to get within 75 yards of roosted birds, I do tend to move in as tight as humanly possible to birds gobbling on the ground before I call to them and I have also been know to crawl a bird or put the sneak on one that's in a field with hens. None of that is conducive to having an unloaded gun.

Guns don't accidentally discharge themselves unless mishandled. The one I carry every day for a living still has yet to get a mind of its own and have a "desk pop."

turkey_slayer

All of the Benelli autos do it. If your barely closing without manually turning the bolt then your lucky. The reason you are suppose to slam em is so the bolt will rotate into lock position. If it doesn't you get the famous click. I load a shell in the chamber, ease the bolt down then right before it's fully closed I rotate the bolt manually with my left hand while easing it down rest of the way. Super quiet. Also get a stiffer recoil spring to keep it from coming out of battery while walking. May not cycle light loads tho