OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First 20 ga turkey

Started by wirtbowhunter, May 10, 2014, 10:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wirtbowhunter

I called a bird in last Saturday and didn't shoot him thinking my Dad would shoot. Ended up he couldn't get on it good enough for a shot. The bird saw something he didn't like and turned without him getting a shot. I had his red head right in the middle of my scope but didn't pull the trigger. Since then I've been itching to see what my 20 ga would do on a bird. I had to work all week and couldn't get back out until this morning.

I looked at the radar and weather report and it called for cloudy skies until 9 am here this morning, then the rain was suppose to start. I headed to one end of our farm that I haven't called to yet this year. Daylight broke and all was silent. I have heard the best gobbling I've heard in years but this morning they all seemed to have lockjaw. I didn't hear a single gobble but I went ahead and setup in an area I've worked birds in the past. Around 6, I had a couple of hens call back to me but no gobbles. The rain started shortly thereafter and I was wishing I'd put a blind out.

I came back to my house around 7:30 to get my blind and a chair. I headed back in the area I worked a bird last Saturday. Last Saturday, after the bird that got by my dad and I, I had one fired up but he wouldn't come inside of 60 yards or so. He had hens with him and they took him up the ridge opposite of me and headed toward a small pasture field. I figured with the rain I could get a bird to come up to me if I set up in that field.

I popped the blind up and made a few calls. Just as in my first spot, no gobbles. I still had faith in my location and I called every 10 mins or so and about 9am I did a series of yelps and cut just a little. I no more than sat my slate down and I saw two red heads headed my way. I shot the one I figured to be the bigger one and gave him a dirt nap with my 20 ga. I stepped it off at 39 yards from my blind. The Federal Heavyweight 7's did the job nicely.

WV harvest 10 3/8" beard, 1 1/8" spurs. I didn't get a good weight on the bird.

WV Ridge Reaper

WyoHunter

Congrats! Nice bird. Those Fed HW 7's are killers!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

RemingtonRules

I am surprised he did not just shake off the shot, stick his tongue out at you, and fly off.  That is what I have read they do to 20 gauges and #7 shot. 

Congrats, this is on my bucket list.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

wirtbowhunter

Quote from: RemingtonRules on May 11, 2014, 10:21:58 AM
I am surprised he did not just shake off the shot, stick his tongue out at you, and fly off.  That is what I have read they do to 20 gauges and #7 shot. 

Yeah, sorta shocked me as well. Ha, he was hammered pretty hard, no shakin' those 7's off.

BowBendr

Quote from: wirtbowhunter on May 11, 2014, 09:59:02 PM
Quote from: RemingtonRules on May 11, 2014, 10:21:58 AM

Yeah, sorta shocked me as well. Ha, he was hammered pretty hard, no shakin' those 7's off.

Yeah, some of the lectures we've been getting the past couple weeks have me shaking my head too. I shot my 1st 20 ga. bird this year with the HW 7's at 32 yds. and the damage was way past severe. In fact, i've been more impressed with those shells than I ever was with the 2.25 oz loads of Hevi 7's I was shooting in my 12 ga. the past 3 seasons..............

Congrats on your 1st  :icon_thumright:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

tomstopper

Nice bird. Has a nice looking rope. Congrats....

CrustyRusty

Tell us about your setup, which is sweet by the way :OGani:

FL-Boss

I too shot my first 20ga bird ... about 38 yards with #7 HW. instant stone cold dead

One this is for sure.. you won't hunt with a 12ga anymore after you start with a 20ga.

wirtbowhunter

Quote from: CrustyRusty on May 25, 2014, 09:49:19 AM
Tell us about your setup, which is sweet by the way :OGani:

Thanks, It is a Rem 870, 20 ga, 21" barrel, Undertaker xt .572 choke, ATI stock, Nikon Turkey Pro scope and a rattle can paint job by myself. It shoots the HW7's in the 140-170 in 10" at 40 yards.

owlhoot

Good job , great lookin gun and a nice tom, 20 and Fed HW 7 will smoke em!

firedup

Nice bird and nice job Dave!!  Welcome to the 20 club!!

beagler

Never Misses