OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Benelli Super Black Eagle Steady Grip Turkey Gun

Started by Tracker, May 10, 2014, 09:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracker

I am in the market for a Super Black II with Steady Grip,and wanted to get some insight into a choke/shell combo recommendation ?  I have a Benelli Nova Steady Grip that I shoot with a Hevi Shot choke and Hevi shot 3" shells # 6 shot that patterns very well.  Just this week I killed a gobbler at 57 yards with that combo, so curious if that same setup would work in the SB Eagle II? 

Ridge Rooster

I have a SBE with steady grip and I shoot a Rhino .660 choke and Nitro ammo. It produces over 300 in a 10" at 40 yards consistently. I think they are the best turkey gun on the market, and I actually just bought a SBE2 with steady grip. I just sent it to Rob Robertson's for a trigger job and I am going to try one of his chokes, so have not fired it yet but I suspect that it will produce similar results as the SBE. You will be very happy with a SBE2 steady grip, and if you really want the best shooting combo for the gun, look hard at the Rhino/Nitro combo that Nitro recommends for the SBE2. It is a little expensive but it will probably save you money eliminating trial and era of a bunch of different shells and chokes.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

L.F. Cox

Personally I don't think pistol grip stocks belong on hunting guns....of course they have the kOOl looking factor.

But on the SBE it turns the safety into a snap off affair....if you need to ease it off with a finger on each side to not make any noise it's impossible. They don't lend to wing shooting either.

Here's some videos of my SBE with Winchester Extended Range #4 shot.....40 yds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBwjFvWa9Jw

Two different brands of ammo at 50 yds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqjPp-nQ-tM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CflAvFFGXIs

Spurcollecta

Pistol grips are excellent for turkey hunting regardless of what your opinion is and it just doesn't get much better than a pistol grip sbe2.

L.F. Cox

Ridge Rooster

Pistol grips are a big big asset to a turkey gun. Necessary No, but it is a more comfortable holding gun while waiting at the ready! Just my opinion!

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

reynolds243

After hunting with one the past few years if have a hard time not using one! IMO they are a game changer and it's something I put very high on my list of items I almost can't do without.

nyhunter

I use  a Final Strut choke from Rob Robers in my SBE2 . It's a .660 and i get good patterns with both H-13 #6 and #7. I love the pistol grip stock it's the way to go for a turkey gun. 

budtripp

While they may feel good to some, I really don't like pistol grip stocks on anything.  Plus they're ugly to me. Guess the marine corps ruined me on pistol grips. I think I'm the only recent veteran I know that hasn't run out and bought an ar-15. To each their own though.

Deputy 14

Quote from: L.F. Cox on May 11, 2014, 03:16:28 PM
So said some out'e door writer....

Jesus Christ will you get off your friggin high horse. I'm so tired of reading your sh*t posts about how if it's not a modified choke shooting lead 4s (or cannonballs) out of a plain jane gun it doesn't work. I respect your decision to shoot what you do and that's great but just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong or bad.

captin_hook

I'm with you deputy, I've been biting my tounge for a while. I actually can't stand when I come across his posts. I actually quit reading them. I think the man is just angry with himself.

captin_hook

And yes, I love a pistol grip on my turkey gun!.

L.F. Cox

So if I don't agree then "I'm angry".....you boys sound like the angry ones to me.

L.F. Cox

Quote from: reynolds243 on May 11, 2014, 04:00:31 PM
After hunting with one the past few years if have a hard time not using one! IMO they are a game changer and it's something I put very high on my list of items I almost can't do without.

If you don't mind me asking what's with the Bible verses tatoo'd on yer turkey gun ?

reynolds243

What's it to you? I believe in god and Jesus's as my savior so any thing that reminds me of the sacrifice he made so I could live is a positive thing.  In addition to the fact that all the eyes that have seen it is just another way to spread the good word.

Tattooed seems an odd way to phrase putting decals on my gun.  Not really sure why that may be an issue for you