OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Another Awesome Morning....#1 in WV!!

Started by VA_Birdhunter, May 10, 2014, 01:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA_Birdhunter

Was able to finally get off a few hours this morning from work, after burning two weeks to go to VA to hunt I've not been able to get out one time in WV.   I get up early and make the 1hr and 10 min drive to my spot get out of the truck at 5:45 am and it's already getting decent light, 30 Seconds later I hear one sound off across the holler.  I jump back in my truck and drive over to the other side which only took about 5 min.  Get out and walk down the gravel road that runs along the wood line.  Hit the owl call nothing....walk a little further hit the owl call nothing.  Walk about 100 yards and got right at the edge of the woods hit the owl call and he gobbles directly in below me.  I get set up about 90-100 yards up the hill in an old logging road from where he's at just down in the woods about 20 yards below the road I walked in on.   Start sending some tree talk his way and he eats it up....I only do about 2 serious since its getting light out so quick.   Do a fly down cackle with my mouth call and wing and he cuts me off.    I do another one and he cuts me off again....and I follow it up with a few more fly downs with the wing.  About 2 min later he sounds off and he's on the ground.  I run through a series of calls and he cuts me off.  I wait a few min and run through a series of calls and he cuts me off and is half way up the hill.   About 5 min later I can hear him spit-in and drumming just under the logging road out in front of me.  I call and he's right under the lip of the road and walks up in full strut.    He comes up about 10 yards beyond my decoy.....I had my decoy out at about 30 yards in front of me.  He struts back and forth on the logging road in the same spot for 5 min.  I try soft calling and he would gobble and go right back into strut.  After a few more min I'm seeing he's not coming in any further so I start to cut trying to get him out of the almost constant strut he's been in....and he just continues to strut.   I hit him one more time with an aggressive cut and he comes into a half strut and I send another load of Long Beard XR's down range.  He falls in his tracks and doesn't make one flop!  These shells and my TruGlo SSX choke continue to impress me!!!   Again the SS Custom Slate and Rut N Strut Mouth call paid off!  This makes #4 for me this year between VA & WV God has truly blessed me with some awesome hunts.  I've heard a lot of gobbling and seen a lot of strutting this year...I couldn't ask for more even if I didn't walk out with a one of them!  Thank you Lord!!

He was a true 2 yr. old.  16.58 lbs.  8 ΒΌ inch beard and 5/8 inch spurs.   Gobbled his head off and strutted like there was no tomorrow.....got to love those 2 year olds!

God Bless

Right After

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Terry

eddie234

Very nice! Congrats

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

ncturkey

DirtNap647

WiLL B

VA_Birdhunter

Thanks for the congrats!  Its been an unbelievable season for sure....Thank you Lord!!!

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

tomstopper

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

SS Calls

Spring_Woods

Congrats that's exciting huntin for sure!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

captin_hook

Congrats man... I love hunting god ol WV

boomer

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase