OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your opinion wanted

Started by srmturk, May 09, 2014, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

He's right if the season is set right.  Ours starts late and runs a month.  It was awesome the first week of May, hens gone and toms were hot.  By the 15th, couldn't yank a gobble of a bird.  I think warm days and dropping hormones shut it down a week before the season ended.
But yes, when the hens are gone, the hunting can be great.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

CT Spur Collector

Yep, I agree. The late season here in PA is why I save my second tag. I had one in the bag on 5-6-14. It's getting fun now.

Plus, all the boys that have their wives and girlfriends upset because they're out chasing toms, are now home doing yard work and out of my hair!!

Hahahaa.

870FaceLift

My favorite two weeks are the first week and last week.  The first week brings more gobbles and I typically see more birds, so it's more entertaining.  However, I have killed way more birds during the last week in Ohio.  It seems that if you get on a gobbling bird during the last week, your odds are much better that he's workable.  I also have more silent birds come in during the last week.  You certainly have years that don't follow the trend, but this seems to hold fairly true here.
Pass it on...

srmturk

Well here I am out in the last week and I will admit....this is tough!  Very hard to deal with the quiet I will admit.  So if the last week is the best it sure is the most challenging mentally.  That feeling of not knowing if one is within 20 miles isn't easy.  If I shoot one I'll change my tune clearly but so far I'm not seeing Kelly's point

howl

I agree. Days hunted vs shots taken goes way up in May. It's a different kind of hunting, not the kind you see on tv with dekes and blinds and loud cutting. Only reason I hunt before mid-season is I just can't stand it. Won't catch me in the woods the first week or two of April as it is.

GobbleNut

Public land birds in heavily hunted areas:   Give me the start of the season,...unless there is so much early season pressure that the birds get completely shut down, in which case most hunters will get frustrated and give up.  As the hunting pressure lightens up and the birds have time to settle down, the last week should provide opportunities for a skilled and persistent turkey hunter.
Lightly hunted, private land birds: makes no difference, usually, but the hunting should be best during those "optimum" periods in the breeding season when gobblers are more likely to cooperate.     
Hunting pressure is the key. 

WildSpur

I have always taken the 1st week off in pa.  I have to admit...my best hunts have been in weeks 3 and 4.  I really think I will be picking week 3 for vacation next year.  This year was out of whack though. ..The 1st week was fair at best and then it turned on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Bigspurs68

Just finished up the last weeks of Ohio and West Virginia. It was a great season from beginning to end but this last week of West Virginia season was outstanding. Tougher and calling for different tactics but fun. A person earns birds in late season, it's satisfying.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

owlhoot

I think it depends on the timing in the spring.
3 weeks in Missouri season.
Been scouting before season, birds going crazy.  During season big slowdown.
The week after season birds going nuts, cooled down some. I called in birds 3 times in the afternoon out walking, Could have easily got all three,
They know , i swear they know. ;D

srmturk

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 24, 2014, 04:49:35 PM
Public land birds in heavily hunted areas:   Give me the start of the season,...unless there is so much early season pressure that the birds get completely shut down, in which case most hunters will get frustrated and give up.  As the hunting pressure lightens up and the birds have time to settle down, the last week should provide opportunities for a skilled and persistent turkey hunter.
Lightly hunted, private land birds: makes no difference, usually, but the hunting should be best during those "optimum" periods in the breeding season when gobblers are more likely to cooperate.     
Hunting pressure is the key.
Understand.  So do you agree with Kelly's point about the hens going to nest in the last week thereby leaving the gobblers more vulnerable?  I hunt on low pressure private land by the way. 

owlhoot

When the hens are not going to the gobblers or leaving them up in the morning to nest , that is a good time to be in the woods :z-twocents:  I agree with that, yes.
What week that is in your area depends on much more than the" last week of your season".
I have also seen through the years that even a change in area, as little as a few miles can make a difference, maybe to the amount of hens to gobblers?
Here in Missouri we have seen a big difference in going to North , Mid or South in the state at one time or another.
This year the last week or so around Truman in the timber was tough, you call birds they go away, even later in the morning,( Henned up) in a few areas we tried. Some public and some private which can make a difference :z-twocents: :z-twocents: i believe. But on this sight at the same time pics were rolling in from north Mo. So i made some calls to friends and sure enough the last week was gobblin crazy and coming right in. :z-twocents: :z-twocents:

GobbleNut

A lot of good points being made here.  Tom Kelly's point about gobblers becoming more vulnerable because their hens start nesting is absolutely a valid one.  As has been pointed out, though,...there are so many other factors that can contribute to whether a gobbler will be easier to call in either early or late in the season that choosing one of those factors as the sole reason to hunt at a particular time is often going to be folly. 
I say hunt when you can, and as often as you can, and hope that you hit it right during those times.  I feel sorry for the guy that can only hunt a few specific days during the season and must rely on the birds to be cooperative when he is out there.  Sure, if you hit it right, a few days is all you need,...but hit it wrong, and even the best of turkey hunters, using the best methods, can be in for a very frustrating hunt.

troutfisher13111

I am in the school of hunting every chance you get. I have had seasons where the first week is best. Seasons where the last is best, and everything in between.

I think a hunter's confidence plays a big role too. If a particular guy has a lot of confidence in the last week, then it's naturally going to work well for him and vice versa.

srmturk

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 25, 2014, 09:59:57 AM
A lot of good points being made here.  Tom Kelly's point about gobblers becoming more vulnerable because their hens start nesting is absolutely a valid one.  As has been pointed out, though,...there are so many other factors that can contribute to whether a gobbler will be easier to call in either early or late in the season that choosing one of those factors as the sole reason to hunt at a particular time is often going to be folly. 
I say hunt when you can, and as often as you can, and hope that you hit it right during those times.  I feel sorry for the guy that can only hunt a few specific days during the season and must rely on the birds to be cooperative when he is out there.  Sure, if you hit it right, a few days is all you need,...but hit it wrong, and even the best of turkey hunters, using the best methods, can be in for a very frustrating hunt.
I really agree with this.  It's my philosophy in all other aspects of hunting so why not this? Can't shoot them at home or in the camp.  As a matter of fact you answered a question I had.  Was thinking well it's late season tomorrow...do I bother getting up early or sleep in and just go midday.  I'm thinking there will likely be no gobbling tomorrow but you know the last I looked they're not in my bedroom but they are going to come off the roost tomorrow morning and who knows what will happen.  Maybe it won't be until midday if at all but they are out there and I have the opportunity so why not take it?

Snoodsniper

I hunt em all the best days are the ones when I walk out with a bird over my shoulder.