OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A question about 2 sided pot calls

Started by dogbox, May 07, 2014, 01:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogbox

I wanting to get another pot call, but not overload my vest much more, so I'm thinking about getting a 2 sided call.  I'm thinking either aluminum/slate or ceramic/slate, so many choices.

I've seen some 2 sided calls where the internal tone board was used for the bottom calling surface and I've seen some where the top and bottom were both full sized calling surfaces.  Is there a difference in the sound produced between these two styles of calls?  Is one better than the other?

I've never used a 2 sided call and I'd like to get some more info before I purchase one.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Spring Fever

I personally like the slate over aluminum. Check out R.W. Mackey on here he makes awesome calls with really good sound that talk turkey.

outdoors

I GOT A ceramic/slate from pappy ON HEAR , OG , AND ITS ONE SWEET CALL .... :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

sbbow

X2 on ceramic over slate. Check out vector custom calls that's where I got mine. Lot of guys Missouri use them. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbbow

This is my ceramic over slate in a cedar pot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoors

I CAN'T POST A PICK OF MINE , BUT MINE CEDAR ALSO ......
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

MikeStaten

I have a ceramic over slate made by stumpy.  The ceramic side is full size and sounds exceptional. The slate side is much smaller and sounds great for lighter clucks and yelps and really good purring.   The ceramic side might is the easiest and most consistent pot call I've tried. Great all in one call.

stone road turkey calls

Dog, I have never heard a pot call with a full size surface on each side, maybe someone will post a pic and a sound file. now i have to go make one.

Gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Stump.270

I've heard good things about the sugar town sweetness by hollaran but I can't ever find sound files

letinmfly

Tim Clayton makes one that is glass on one side and slate on the other.  They are full sized playing surfaces.  Great sounding call as are all of his calls.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

R.W. Mackey

My calls are two sided and one side is definitely smaller than the main playing surface. Both sound
Good, got plenty of Turkey but the smaller side, because it has a smaller playing surface cannot get
As high pitched as the larger side. Which is OK with most people, gives you two different Turkeys with the same call. The smaller side will usually give you a deeper older hen sound, again because the playing surface is reduced, you are playing the call closer to the middle. If you play the larger surface closer to the middle you will get a deeper sound as well, but because the two surfaces are different materials you get different sounds. Best of both worlds in my opinion.
Here is a pic of the back and front of my calls. I don't make the calls with two large playing surfaces, so I can't help you with those sounds.
And as far as the BEST, here we go again, there is no such thing. We all play calls differently, some better than others admittedly, but what works for me might not for you. Just try several calls, you will
Eventually find something that works for you.   RW

Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

mastevt

Beautiful call there Mackey!

My double sided calls feature full size playing surface's, with two soundboards.  One under each playing surface.  These two Matching Cocobola's were Glass over acrylic, and Slate over Glass.