News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thoughts on full strut decoys

Started by G-12, May 06, 2014, 08:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-12

What's veryone's thoughts and experience using them

I bought an avian x yeaterday and have a scenario in mind to try this Saturday.

I have an area where a group of birds are roosting and know the direction they travel off the roost.   The set up i'm thinking is 25 yards or so into a field on the crook of an inside corner. Think "L" with me being set up on the edge of the verticle woods line 25 yards or so from the decoy.  I'll also add a couple of he. Decoys, maybe one without the stake to imitate a breeding pose.

This group of birds inckudes one boss gobbler and several satelite toms with a hand ful of hens

jblackburn

Like a lot of things, when they work it's great and when they don't, it sucks.  I've had them run in and beat the crap out of them, I've had them skirt them just out of range, and I've had them turn around and run.  It's a gamble, but it pays to have an idea about the birds your after.  The boss may not like him and come right over.  My best luck in your situation has been getting the hens attention with yelping and even gobbling to get her to come check out a new boyfriend.  That can really piss off the lead gobbler.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

G-12

That's actually sort of what I was thinking.  Some gobbler yelps and love struck Jake gobbles

Drthorn

personal experience:

beginning of season= high success rate
late season= not so much

Yoder409

Several thoughts on them..............

They are a P.I.T.A. to carry around.............. especially if your original setup doesn't work and you end up on the move.

I have had them scare birds off like I had a coyote decoy in the field.

I killed my best overall gobbler EVER after he sprinted 200 yards across an open field to kick some full-strut decoy butt.

I personally don't like using decoys at ALL in almost every situation.  Figger I was killing gobblers LONG before I ever owned a decoy and I can do the same now.

You have to consider your setup and the safety aspect of having some Bubba sneak in and bust a cap on your deke.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

G-12

Already figured the safetu aspect.  This is very private land( the land owner shoots at unauthorized tresspassers).  And i will have my partner facing away from the decoys anyway.

captin_hook

Like others have said, I've seen em work, I've seen em spook birds. It's all about the mood of the one coming into your set up. I personally am not to crazy about a full strut dek

chadly

This is my first year owning one.  I used it during the youth season.  First set up a large tom stood just outside of range blabbering his head off but would not come in. On plus note it was one of the coolest things i have ever seen.  It was cold and every gobble he would blow smoke.  I have never seen that before and I cant believe how big their lungs must be to blow so much smoke.  We moved to a second location and another large bird hung up and would not come in.  Another bird joined him and together gobbled like mad but would not come in.  I've not used it since but I will.  I'm learning turkeys are weird and what ever works that day may not the next.  Give it a try and let us know what happens.  Good luck and kill a biggen. 

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

VaTuRkStOmPeR

You couldn't pay me to run one.

strutnrut

Bottom line a lot of birds die each year because of no other reason other than you have a Strutt'n Decoy out. A 30-30 rifle has killed a lot of deer but a lot of folks think and will go out and buy the biggest best rifle you can find just to kill a deer at 50 yards.  A decoy isn't needed to kill a turkey but sometimes they do help and are legal. 

G-12

To the Ney-sayers

Please expand on your opinions, have you used them? What are your reasons for being against them?

tomstopper

IMO. This is just what I think & I am not saying who is correct and incorrect. I am getting so I don't use decoys at all anymore no matter if they are strutter's, Jake's, hens, etc. I love to run-n-gun and I don't like to be weighted down. The biggest thing that would influence my decision is if I am hunting on public or private land. Private land maybe but public land would be a no for me. I just don't think its worth it if there is a increased possibility of me (or the kids I sometimes take out) eating a face or back full of lead b/c of some stupid hunter shooting at what he thinks is a real gobbler....

Whatever you decide, Good luck to you. At the end of the day its what you feel comfortable with....

DirtNap647

strutnrut

I could careless if you use a decoy it's legal. 
Yes I have used them but i like the other way best the hunting of turkeys.JMO  but if you want a reason for not using a STRUTT'N DECOY is  Safety... You even have fools crawing around in a field with a Real Turkey fan trying to lure a gobbler in ...
I had a _ _ _ _  this past weekend bragging about picking up his B Moblie and crawing across a field to a rise where the gobblers could see him. and how they came running and he dropped the deke and blasted 2 of them in one shot. The 2 bird are legal here in one day. REALLY That's KILLING and a :TrainWreck1: waiting to happen.