OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

a box that whipsers

Started by gobbler336, May 05, 2014, 02:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler336

i want a box that i can really yelp softly on, what wood combo should i look for?

SS Calls

It will have more to do with tuning than the wood combo.

ferocious calls

QS Sycamore on QS Sycamore can create some very soft talk. My Full Choke box call is my favorite for this. Tuning does matter.

pappy

In the hands of a consistent user, most all boxes that have a good basic quality sound can whisper. It is not the box that produces the sound it is the user. I used a box I made for a friend and fellow call maker in Attica Ohio,
it was Sitka Spruce with Purpleheart paddle. Hardest box I ever made for tuning, but in the end, it called a Gobbler within 30 feet of me with some of the softest sweetest yelps I had heard out of a box call. But, it did not do it by itself!
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

R AJ

Quote from: gobbler336 on May 05, 2014, 02:52:15 PM
i want a box that i can really yelp softly on, what wood combo should i look for?

By holding your thumb and fingers against the side of the box you can make a huge difference.
Placing a foam pad or tissue paper in the bottom of the box helps. Your stroke length and pressure is key.

Marc

Quote from: SS Calls on May 05, 2014, 02:56:49 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by tuning?

Tuning by the call maker in making the call, or chalking the wood properly, or some other aspect?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

SS Calls

Quote from: Marc on May 08, 2014, 01:16:32 PM
Quote from: SS Calls on May 05, 2014, 02:56:49 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by tuning?

Tuning by the call maker in making the call, or chalking the wood properly, or some other aspect?

Yea, I meant tuning by the call maker. About any box will play if you crank on it but if it isn't tuned in right, the soft stuff is about impossible.

L.F. Cox

The tone is either there or it's not...no amount of tuning will get it there.

L.F. Cox

Quote from: pappy on May 07, 2014, 10:27:13 AM
In the hands of a consistent user, most all boxes that have a good basic quality sound can whisper.

I'm sure all here would like to hear some turkey whispering....

turkey john

Each box call has it's own sound and sensitivity. You can pick up a dozen calls that look alike and each sounds different. Each call usually has it's own sweet spot which makes a good sound. You can look thru a hundred calls to get one that makes a great sound. ....A soft call can be made on all boxes but is easier on some. The amount of pressure on the lid and hand position on the sides of the box has a lot to do with it. You need to practice and experiment with a new box. Some boxes need more chalk others not so much. A soft tissue/cloth in the sound chamber can help. Experiment with how you hold the box and finger positioning on the sides of the sound chamber which changes the sound. practice and more practice....  An accomplished box caller doesn't have to look at his box when he picks it up.... Good Luck.