turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Worst Season Ever - Making Me Nuts

Started by redmag, May 05, 2014, 01:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redmag

Live on the WV/VA border and hunt both states.  I have not been near a bird except a jake that gobbled twice and walked past me at 30 yds.  Most days I have hunted and have not even heard a bird.  My brother is seeing the same thing.  He has seen gobblers and hens in a gravel road that he travels to and from his hunting area.  Today he saw 2 gobblers and a hen in the road.  I have never seen it this way before at only the 2nd week.  I am a die hard but it is getting tougher and tougher to get out of bed a 4 AM and trudge through these mts. and for it go like it is.

chadly

It's been really tough for me here in Iowa this year.  I spent more time scouting and preparing for this year than any other and it sure has not paid off yet.  I have some crazy ideas to try later in the week.  Hang in there it will work out.  At least that is what I keep telling myself. 

bbcoach

Redmag,
It's been tough where I hunt too.  I have been getting reports that the birds just aren't cooperating much this year and we only have a week left in the season.  What I can say is it can all turn around in the blink of an eye (read my post, "Don't Give Up").  I was getting a little frustrated myself until last Friday and then it all came together.  Good Luck and Keep After Them!   

DirtNap647

just hang in there ya never know when it could happen so quick

Mike Honcho

I live in eastern KS and it's been tougher than normal this year.  I don't think we had a very good jake hatch either so next year may be slim too.  We had a very harsh winter for our part of the world and I wonder if we don't have some winter kill problems.    Areas I have hunted for years that held many birds last year I am hardly seeing anything.   I think this is somewhat regional too...there may be members on here from a few counties another direction that would say it is a normal year.

Honcho

ncturkey

Hang in there. We have all had bad years. Keep at and it will happen. If not this year maybe next year.

COssman14

Quote from: chadly on May 05, 2014, 01:52:40 PM
It's been really tough for me here in Iowa this year.  I spent more time scouting and preparing for this year than any other and it sure has not paid off yet.  I have some crazy ideas to try later in the week.  Hang in there it will work out.  At least that is what I keep telling myself.
x2 Iowa has been tough for me also. Seems like the birds are behind.
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

West Augusta

Redmag.  I am in Marion County WV and have to agree with you.  The birds here only gobble a few times on the roost and are done by 7 am.  I have one that moves his roost every night and goes a different direction every morning and wouldn't shock gobble to a stick if dynamite.  I'm giving him a few days to forget me and then I'm going to hit him again.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

AUDoubleBeard

Quote from: Mike Honcho on May 05, 2014, 05:53:18 PM
I live in eastern KS and it's been tougher than normal this year.  I don't think we had a very good jake hatch either so next year may be slim too.  We had a very harsh winter for our part of the world and I wonder if we don't have some winter kill problems.    Areas I have hunted for years that held many birds last year I am hardly seeing anything.   I think this is somewhat regional too...there may be members on here from a few counties another direction that would say it is a normal year.

Honcho
I'm in Eastern Kansas and I concur......  I've got one tag filled the last may be a problem though.

WVhuntEER

Quote from: West Augusta on May 05, 2014, 06:28:24 PM
Redmag.  I am in Marion County WV and have to agree with you.  The birds here only gobble a few times on the roost and are done by 7 am.  I have one that moves his roost every night and goes a different direction every morning and wouldn't shock gobble to a stick if dynamite.  I'm giving him a few days to forget me and then I'm going to hit him again.
Exactly what my dad and I are experiencing too.   A little gobbling on the limb and then done.  It's frustrating but I guess that's turkey hunting!  BTW I love my strikers! :)

longbeard11

Stay with it guys, gobblers were tearing the woods down this morning!! I worked multiple birds that were alone and my buddies said the same thing.  Hens should be sitting any day now which will make it even that much better! The best is ahead of us. 

Ive been on hot gobblers the last few times I have been out with action increasing each time. Just gotta get out there and press on!!

mdtkyhntr

Hope something changes soon, I haven't heard a gobble after 7 am since the beginning of the MD season. Can't remember a season like this.

longbeard11

Had one rockin again this morning!  Things are picking up.

WV TURKEY THUG

not a peep this morning cant wait for the hens to get on there nest

longbeard11

shouldnt be long now.  Both birds I worked yesterday were by themselves and the bird today had a hen with him.