OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

That's a wrap! Eastern Washington Turkey #2 down -

Started by jblackburn, May 05, 2014, 12:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

Got my second Washington bird down Saturday evening on some BLM land.  Chased them Friday morning only to have the seemingly dozens upon dozens of hens show up at the worst possible time.  Had one gobbler coming at around 100 yards when henny penny came like an interceptor missile and they went off the other way.

Went back Saturday afternoon, got there around 4:00, glassed the pastures and worked some of the timber trying to strike one. Nothing.  Made my way to the back of the place, about 1.5 miles in to where I thought they might come through before roosting.  Just after 7:00 a coyote howled and he hammered.  I called, he gobbled.  Waited a couple minuted, couple clucks on a Gooserbat Bacon, he gobbled closer.  Then I heard her.  He gobbled at her and in a few minutes he was further than when I first heard him.

I decided to put a move on him. I got in a deep draw and made my way toward the open area he was in.  Couple clucks on Bacon, he gobbled and moved tower me.  Now, this open area is not flat, it is full of high spots and rocks.  I was in a low spot on the edge and I could hear him strutting but could not see him.  Suddenly he gobbled and I realized that he was within 20 yards!  Still could not see him!

Then I see a fan behind the grass and i realize a hump is between me and him.  Take my foot and scratch in the pine needles and he gobbles, but I can't see him again.  Then, I see his fan again. I cluck and see him raise his head.  All I can see is his head and about 3 inches of neck.  I decide that is the shot and take it.  He was 10 steps away!  I'm glad I have Firesights on my 870 with the Indian Creek because it looked like I shot him with a slug!  Needless to say he did not go anywhere.

18 lbs 5 oz, 9 inch beard, 13/16 spurs
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Jbird22

boomer

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

captin_hook

mossy835

Good looking bird congratulations on filling both of your tags!

Crockrj

jblackburn

Quote from: Crockrj on May 05, 2014, 03:57:40 PM
In the face!!! Congrats

Yeah, it was!  Debated on whether to post the head or not, but this is what Hevi-6s at 10 yards through the IC will do. 
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

darn2ten

SwampSniper

ncturkey

pappy

wow talk about not tonight dear I have a headache!  :drool:
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

beagler

Never Misses

dfresh55