turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gotta get 1 mote state in.. West Virginia maybe.. any advice

Started by Onpoint, May 04, 2014, 10:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

Alright here's the deal. I've got over 30 days of hard hunting in. I'm wore out and so is my ol lady. We have had a great year so far but we aren't quite ready to call it quits.  I'm thinking about jumping in the truck next Sunday evening and heading somewhere to hunt for 6 days. It would have to be within reasonable driving distance of Kentucky.  What would be the best place to get on some birds going in blind late in the year. I'll be camping. The cheaper I can get by the better. My wife only got one bird this year, granted he was a hell of a bird with right at 1.75" hooks I still want her to get another one. I feel bad for her cuz she missed one on our last day of kentucky seadon today. He wqs a stubborn bird that would always gobble his little head off on the limb then pitch down, go silent and dissapear. I was kinda thinking west virginia since its not too awfully far and sewson has onky been in a week there. Thayd out us gett8n there doe the 3rd week. I am o9en to other states too as long as theyre close. Just drop me a pm if ya have any good advice for me.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

WV Ridge Reaper

2nd and 3rd week always the best here..Be ready to walk some mountains if your staying in the southern part.

CT Spur Collector

Don't be afraid to do some door knocking. Private land is the best in WV, locals are very friendly, very nice people in WV.

I smacked two nice adult toms last Monday and Wednesday on private land. Very little pressure, had a blast.  Good luck.

longbeard11

Birds have been henned up here in WV the first week but we managed to put 3 down.  The best hunting is ahead of us for sure!! I always have the best time on my farm the second weekend into the third week.  But I did kill my gobbler last spring on the very last day of the season and he gobbled like it was the first day. 

There are some great public areas to hunt in WV with good campgrounds.  But like was said earlier if you can gain access to private farms that would also be great!! People are super nice here and open to turkey hunters since not as many people turkey hunt as they do deer hunt.  Most old farmers would be glad to let you hunt their property.  Good luck wherever you decide to go.

Ruger M77

man I wish I had 6 days to go to another state huntin lol
I eat therefore I hunt

longbeard11

Things were rockin in WV this morning!! its getting good!!

Deputy 14

Quote from: longbeard11 on May 06, 2014, 10:51:48 AM
Things were rockin in WV this morning!! its getting good!!

I'm glad they were wherever you are. It's over in Boone.  :-\

longbeard11

nah, best hunting is ahead of us. Not even close to over yet. 

Deputy 14

I hope you're right brother. They've left hens and are strictly feeding, At least where I've been.  Gobble on the roost a little is all I've had since Wednesday. Maybe it'll turn around.

WVhuntEER

Where I hunt it seems to be over too.  Not much gobbling.  Only on the limb then nothing.   Not hearing any hens. 

Planner

I hunted WV last Wed-Sat and the gobblers were still traveling together and were with hens all day. I think as others have said- the best is yet to come.

longbeard11

I heard 7 birds today gobbling like crazy!!! They actually didnt gobble real well on the limb but when they got on the ground they were fired up!  3 were for sure by themself and not with any hens, which is what we want! 

I called in one bird on a string that came in full strut gobbling his brains out and got to 70 yards coming right to me and a jake gobbled above me and scared the crap out of him.  He turned and went the other way.  I left that setup and found another bird on a point by himself that I bet gobbled easily 60-80 times in a matter of about 25 minutes.  He was on fire.  I was about to set up on him and a deer ran right above him and I believe that deer spooked him cause he never gobbled again.  That was all today before 7:30, could have probably found another bird but I had to leave and go to work. 

Got the same report of great gobbling from a couple of buddies that were out today, along with 3 kills.  It was definitely on today!!  The hens should be nesting any day now which will make it even better!! It is definitely not over yet.

Deputy 14

Very nice!!!  Tomorrow is the last day I'll get to hunt until the last week. Hopefully they're still working then.

WV TURKEY THUG

things are starting to fire up in here in wv by next week it should be in the prime. season is a little behind this year it seems. heard around 15 birds in the past two days.

longbeard11

Had another one almost in gun range today, fired up!!!! Its definitely picking up and getting better!!! Stay after it guys!