turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

federal heavyweight dud

Started by CrustyRusty, May 04, 2014, 08:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrustyRusty

I took my niece out for her first hunt on Thursday.  She was using my daughter's 20 bps with federal hw 7's.  Had a nice bird come in at about 20 yards and she took aim, squeezed the trigger and all I heard was poof.  Then yellow smoke came out the end of the barrel.  As she cleared the gun and cycled the action, huge amounts of the yellow smoke came out of the action too.  I stopped her from taking another shot and cleared the gun.  I picked up the shell and noticed that the pellets had all come out, they had rolled.out of the gun when she cycled the action.  The primer  ignited fine and the wad was still in the shell and powder was all over the inside of the shell. The crimp opened and the pellets all rolled out.

The look on her face was so sad, this was her first experience turkey hunting and the shell completely failed her.  I'm sure the look on my face was sad too.  Has anyone ever experienced such a thing with these shells.  I've never seen anything like it and was wondering if this is an issue with federal heavyweight shells.  Thanks...

howl

Sorry to hear that. You should call Federal and let them know what happened. They should replace the product.

And...never had a dud on a turkey. Never even had one on a deer and that includes handloads. Have had them on ducks, but I just shuck and keep shooting. Anyhow, reading things like this makes one reconsider the utility of the twice-barrel with two triggers.

surehuntsalot

you get a hold of Federal and they will make it good.
sorry that your niece had the bad experience
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

savduck

I havent had it happen on a turkey but over the years have had it happen on ducks, quail, dove before. All brands too. It just happens sometimes. Sounds to me like the powder got damp.
Georgia Boy