OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester Long beard XR

Started by deerbasshunter3, May 03, 2014, 09:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

The Winchester Long beard XR is advertised as "heavier than lead". What the heck does that mean!? Is it lead? Is it steel? No clue.

Please take into account that I am new to turkey hunting and the only thing I have ever shot out of my shotgun is buckshot that I probably got from somebody.

I think I have narrowed it down to Winchester Long Beard XR 3" and a Patternmaster Anaconda Striker choke tube to go with my Remington 870 Super Mag 12 gauge.

snapper1982

heavier than lead means exactly that. the shot is made of material that is heavier than lead. by doin this it help minimize shot deformation during the shot process and in turn helps mantain better patterns. it also mean that you can shoot smaller shot sizes and still maintain kenetic energy to kill cleanly. oh and steel is not heavier than lead

Nick8403

Idk why it's advertised as heavier then lead because it is lead that's what there while big thing about is the best patterning lead load on the market

loner

just some wisdom from an old timer,the heavier than lead loads out there now are a big plus with right choke tubes and determining which one patterns best in your gun.the advantage,is the heavier shot had longer range fopr killing shot if necessary.i used the first rem hevishot and swore it was best turkey load ever made.then the other manufacturers came out with similar loads.i have used them all and they all can take toms beyond 50 yards.over the years,i have accumulated several old copperplated and lead shot loads while trying all these new ones.the expense of new loads convinced me to start using up my old shells.this means i have to take shots under 40 yards!my last bird this season was taken with a 2x6 rem duplex that was several years old.
it is all about how far you will have to take your shot. ;D
just an ole' retired man that still believes in values,and common courtesy.

the Ward

The new Longbeard Extended Range is lead. The  discontinued Winchester Xtended Range H-D is not, it's htl (tungsten based) shot.

eddie234

Where does it say that the longbeards are heavier than lead? I've never seen than advertised?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

alclark2

^^ that's what I was wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

akp

I've never seen it advertised as HTL.

dfresh55

i dont believ ethe longbeard is advertised aas heavier than lead at all.. maybe he mixed up with hevi shot.. thast the only one i can think of that has that heavier than lead slogan.... but i will say i shoot hevishot mag blend now seriously thinking about switching to win lonbeard after i seen some patterns.. and pricetag!

Yooper

I just patterned my Mossberg 500 with Winchester LongBeards and it consistently put 30 or more #6s in the kill zone at 40 yards.  I had a heck of a time finding them, but I think I'm good for at least three or more years.  Now all I need is a turkey dumb enough to come to my calls.
Yooper

Narf

I haven't seen the "heavier than lead" advertisement either, but I know from pulling pellets out of a bird, they are coated lead and perfectly round. I'm guessing nickel coating. One thing to keep in mind when purchasing XR's is the shot in them is European shot size.  This means 5's are what we usually call 6's etc...shot size is one size smaller than our standard. I read this and measured for myself. 

strutnrut

Quote from: Narf on May 05, 2014, 08:42:01 AM
I haven't seen the "heavier than lead" advertisement either, but I know from pulling pellets out of a bird, they are coated lead and perfectly round. I'm guessing nickel coating. One thing to keep in mind when purchasing XR's is the shot in them is European shot size.  This means 5's are what we usually call 6's etc...shot size is one size smaller than our standard. I read this and measured for myself. 

I was wondering about that. I shoot the 6's and pulled one out of a bird yesterday that looked like it was a 7 shot. Killed the heck out of the bird at 42 yards but the shot size looked small to me.

albrubacker

Guess to would explain some of the high pellet counts.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

darn2ten

This is not completely true. I have sampled the shot size in a #5 LB. I checked about 30 pellets. Of those this is what I found. I had 1 being just oversized at .121 and 5 at exactly .120. I had 2 at .112 and 1 at .113. The largest majority of the pellets were in the .115 to .118 range with 8 of them being .117. I had no exact #6 pellets out of the ones I checked. Most measured what I would call a 6 5/8 to 6 3/4, lol. I will say that all the pellets were very round. I have also shot the #5 at 50 yds. thru a heavy tin soup can, every pellet that hit the can past completely threw both sides. Tried the same test with a #6 LB's twice. One time all the pellets past threw the front side and dented the back side with 4 passing completely thru. The other one all but 2 past thru the front side and dented the back side with no pass thrus. I've shot 3 turkeys with the #5 LB's this year and seen 2 others killed with them, they flat get the job done and after all my testing I have complete confidence in them.

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.