OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Called in something new!

Started by Kilchis, May 02, 2014, 11:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilchis

This is my 4th or 5th year of hunting turkeys.  Because of a extreme reactions to poison oak I am limited to hunting an area about 150 miles from home.  The turkey numbers there are low, but hey!, it's a place to hunt!  Because of work obligations, I've only been able to hunt a couple of days each year

A few years ago I called in a cow elk and calves using a Freak pot.  This year I was working a gobbler (Finally found one!) but couldn't get him to come past my shooter.  After about half an hour of waiting, I heard him gobble still in his original location, so I quietly put my new slate into a vest pocket and stood up.  I took about three steps out into a barren from the juniper thicket I was hunkered in, and from a rimrock less than a hundred yards to my left came a very loud irritated and mournful howl, followed quickly by a half dozen more.

I've hunted, fished and camped in coyote country for 55 years, but I've never heard a coyote with a howl like that.  The timbre and volume were all wrong.  The closest ranch dwelling was about 12 miles away, ruling out dogs.  However, wolves migrated back into NE Oregon about 8 or so years ago, and I was fortunate enough to hear some one night 4 years ago, and this sounded like that.  My gut tells me that even though wolf numbers are still low, I had one responding to my calling, hoping for a snack.

Even if it was just a big coyote, it was great fun!

We didn't score a bird in the three days we hunted this time, but the season still has weeks to run and I'll be back out there for another 3 or 4 day trip. 

Marc

I have called in a few critters while turkey hunting...  Multiple coyotes, a couple of foxes, and 2 bobcats on different occasions. 

Couple weeks ago, I had turkeys coming in, and could not figure out what happened...  In strolls a yote with a guilty look on his face...

For the poison oak, you can put antiperspirant all over.  I use a spray of unscented stuff and cover myself with it...  Not so great for big game cause there is still an odor, but works surprisingly well, as long as you shower immediately after getting home, and wash the clothes.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

DirtNap647

just called up turkeys and some hunters

surehuntsalot

have called up coyotes,fox,bobcats,and wild dogs while turkey hunting
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Tail Feathers

I called in a cow elk in NE TN a few years back.
Called up a coyote once.  Actually called in a turkey or two over the years too. :goofball:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Mason Dixon

"Hmmmm.......other hunters....deer.....raccoon....red fox.....red-tailed hawk......hens.....jakes....a gobbler or two...."
1) Ithaca M37: aftermkt. pistol grip stock; full choke 30"; Deerslayer cylinder bore
2) Benelli M1 Super 90: cylinder bore defense barrel
3) Benelli Super Nova: Steady Grip stock; assorted Carlson's chokes; Indian Creek; Primos Jelly Head
4) Hand made wing bones; boxes; pots and strikers; diaphrams; wing flappers

I hate turkeys

When I call in a coyote he only comes in once. I'll shoot them before a tom.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith