News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Let's talk mouth calls

Started by Onpoint, May 02, 2014, 08:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCGobbler

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on May 02, 2014, 10:04:57 PM
... Long story short,drew has a customer for life.

Same here Reaper,

I called Drew and talked to him a bit.  Really good fella, got his head on straight and priorities are correct!  I am a customer for life as well!
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

troutfisher13111

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 12, 2014, 09:58:43 AMTerry if you really want clear then try the Southern Bell on the Web Exclusives page.

Your PLS and classic her are plenty clear, but I will try a Bell next time I order.

Bwk

I don't see a Vixen call on the  Houndstooth site. Is that a special request call ?

Houndstooth Game Calls

Quote from: Bwk on May 14, 2014, 06:15:26 PM
I don't see a Vixen call on the  Houndstooth site. Is that a special request call ?

It is a special call that me and my good friend Savduck kinda configured its got 2 reeds of proph and 1 green latex top reed with a vcutt configuration that's modified.. I just didn't have time to keep a stock of them through the season cause I am gone most Thursdays through sunday guiding during season. It will be added this spring and counted for in our line up. If ya want one just order a mouthcall on our website and in the comment box state you want the vixen and I will fix ya up!!Lyle

WildTigerTrout

I use mouth calls most of the time. My favorite production call is the Primos "True Triple" and "True Double" stacked frame (Piggyback). I carry one of each of the entire series in my vest. Several of the calls have been discontinued (ie Boss Hogg, Dirty Double) but I bought extras of each. If you find a call you like buy extras, they may quit making it. As far as the sound goes, when I open a new call I run it ALOT to break it in before I hunt with it.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

deerbasshunter3

Just got into turkey hunting this year and I was told by the guy I hunt with to get a Legacy mouth call. I bought a Primos call just to practice with but I can't seem to make it sound much like a turkey. I guess I could use it during duck season...? Not knocking primos I just don't know what I'm doing.

I can pretty much work a slate call but I like the idea of hands free and movement free. I definitely want to go with a small company call instead of a mass produced call.

Is it safe to assume that if a small company has calls for sale in a big box store that it is in fact a mass produced item and not a "homemade" call?

davisd9

XT by Steve Kinder or Cane Creek Calls

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

troutfisher13111

deerbasshunter3, your going to have to find what works best for you. The advantage to small, custom call makers is that you get a consistency that you don't get from mass produced calls. In my experience, you can buy several of the same model from the large companies and they all run and sound different. Makes it hard to find a favorite.

But, with custom companies they will produce consistent calls. Right now I have two Gooserbat bacons that run and sound close to identical. One I bought last spring, the other came in the mail yesterday. After the initial break in period, I can run both without hearing or feeling a difference. I know this cause I bounced back in forth while practicing last night. I would say that's pretty good for calls bought a year apart.

Hope this helps. For years I messed around with mass produced calls and wasted a lot of money every spring trying to find a favorite. Now, I know what to buy every year.

Tail Feathers

I've long been a fan of Hooks' calls.  I live the Woodhaven Red Wasp and always carry one of those.  I tried some from other makers and liked them too.
Gulvas were the only ones I bought and flat couldn't get to sound right.  And so many others bragged on them. 
Everyone calls differently I guess and that's why you have to shop around some.  I will definitely pick up some more Hooks calls before next season but I now feel the need to try some Gooserbat calls. ;D
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Sadler McGraw

You have to blow a Gulvas call totallly different than a call with cut reeds for yelping.  cutts, kees and purrs are basically they same way.
Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion

mikejd

Onpoint great post.
you couldn't be more right on.

I like the 20 Korean lady visual.

Awww what Theese stupid American use these faw.

troutfisher13111

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 21, 2014, 10:55:34 AMbut I now feel the need to try some Gooserbat calls. ;D

Go with the Bacon. It's my go to right now

gwa

Quote from: Sadler McGraw on May 21, 2014, 11:04:42 AM
You have to blow a Gulvas call totallly different than a call with cut reeds for yelping.  cutts, kees and purrs are basically they same way.

What has to change to switch between the two?

CMBOSTC

The two Gooserbat calls that I bought this past season are the best mouth calls that I've ever ran.

Chris
Gobble, Gobble... "BOOM!

Cut N Run

I keep a mouth call in whenever I'm in the turkey woods, so I burn through a lot of them.  I use the ones from last season to practice with as I drive around for work.

I had a lot of success with a Knight & Hale UHT 001 and bought a couple dozen direct from PRADCO five years ago.  For a mass produced call, I've gotten surprisingly more good than bad out of those 24.  I still have 4 in the freezer and I hope there's a couple of good ones in there.

I started using Tom Teaser's Cracked Corn and Teaser Pleaser calls most often recently.  I see Tommy Walton each year at the Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh and get replacement calls for the ones I used the past season.  Tommy's calls have been consistent with little variance between calls of the same model.

I also got some XT mouth calls that are well built and sound very good.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.